Conservatory

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
about 7 years ago I widened the opening from my back room to my conservatory by and extra 50cm, all work was approved expect the final part I believe, but I do know work/ beams were approved. Now I am looking to sell the property but I have been told I need to put in doors leading from my back room to my conservatory is this correct or will indemnity insurance cover this? When I originally brought the property there were no doors into the conservatory nor was there any insurance in place.
Also will I need to get the council back to sign off the work which was done 7 years ago? Or will the insurance also cover this?

Hope this makes sense and Thankyou in advance

Sponsored Links
Told by who?

It will make your life a lot easier to just reinstate the door. It will get flagged up on every survey and they will use that to knock money off of the asking price.

My friend had a similar issue and went with the quick and easy option:
Get a few local uPVC firms round to measure and quote. Make sure you get your fensa certificate.

Told by my ex, which is why I am trying to get information regarding this as I’ll be honest I don’t know much about it all or what my options are. So if I get doors fitted do I still need to get the beams fully signed off?
The property was brought from the company he works for (he’s an estate agent) is this possibly why nothing was flagged up regarding this before and all went ahead when we brought it?

Thankyou for your reply I will def look into doors

If you started the process for having it signed off when it was done then get in touch with the council and see where they think you are with it and they'll advise if you needs doors and what need to happen to get a completion certificate.

Sponsored Links
You will need doors if the council/building control get involved.

The conservatory has been there for 12+ years approx 12 years with the current glass roof, so is more than safe, can the property be sold without it all signed off? And if it gets flagged up etc then can put some doors on at this point? Is this possible like I said I honestly have no idea. Also would indemnity insurance over all this to have the doors left off?
What is my best option with spending the least amount of money, and being able to sell it? I’ve moved out of the property which is why I don’t want to spend much. Thankyou

Indemnity won't cover it.

You have a live, albeit probably archived application that will always be live even for the next owners. The work is incomplete and unauthorised, and is a risk to any owner.

Put some doors on, get it signed off and add the cost to the sale price. Otherwise any sale will likely hit the same obstacle normally at last minute.

So how do people have a conservatory/ extension on the back o fb their house without the need to put patio doors in?
Thankyou for all your replies I really do appreciate it

They either leave the doors in place, ignore building regs or comply with the building regs.

Isn't the room attached to the conservatory absolutely freezing in the winter? Likewise the opposite in the summer. Or do you just have the heating whacked up?

Last edited:
Isn't the room attached the conservatory absolutely freezing in the winter? Likewise the opposite in the summer. Or do you just have the heating whacked up?
In my case i had to whack the heating up in the winter and boiled in the summer. Cost a fortune last winter in energy bills so I had the glass roof replaced with an insulated roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back