Considering changing thermostat, but what will do the job?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a boiler in the granny flat, with a three core and earth between granny flat and main house, one core is open circuit, and it changes colour from red, yellow, blue to brown, black, grey so some where there is a joint, but not a clue where, so I used Nest Gen 3 so the wires carry only 12 volt DC with a signal so the control module is powered from the mains, and is extra low voltage, and allows me to control both CH and DHW from the single wall mounted unit. Which is what I want.

However I was told before buying it would connect to my Energenie MiHome TRV heads, but this is not the case, and even if it did it works the wrong way around, the wall thermostat telling the heads what to do, where want the TRV heads to be able to activate the boiler when required.

The main problem is the hall cools too slow, and every room had doors to outside, and some alternative heating, so I need to monitor more than one room.

Nest do temperature sensors 1677759607314.png but only for the US market, and the US Nest thermostat is not the same as European type, cost around £29.15 one of these would cure the problem if it would work with Nest Gen 3, but alas it seems not being released in the UK.

I have considered going wireless and getting a USB powered base, but this is not really a cure, moving the thermostat room to room seems daft, the other room which is important is the living room, but the living room gets the morning sun, and on a sunny day that would mean rest of house gets cold. Plus a open hearth fire, never used, there for emergency, and maybe Christmas day, but could use it more, if fuel prices go up.

It is annoying to have to replace Nest, I thought I was getting a good wall thermostat when I bought it, but the two wire connection between the wall thermostat/controller and the boiler controls in the flat is a stumbling block, no assess to run new cables, only option is wireless or outside the house.

Would like to avoid wireless if I can, licensed to transmit at 400 watt, which may upset other very low powered wireless units. Is there any other hard wired thermostat/controller I can use?

Sponsored Links
You could use a 2 wire volt free battery operated type, that way it remains extra low voltage. Have you considered using the Nest as wireless using a usb lead? There’s also these - haven’t used them myself, but they did get some notable mentions.

How about experimenting with a transformer mains primary connected across what you are attempting to control, and a low voltage secondary connected via the wiring, to the actual switch?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back