Constant High Pitched Noise From Worcester 24i - UPDATE

You sure the boiler is a Worcester 24i ? The single light on the front is red.

If it's turned off at the plug the whole boiler is turned off. If the noise is still there its water borne.

Since the pressure gauge is not on 3 Bar the filling loop would not appear to have been left open.

Have you checked flush valves or float valves in the WC cisterns are not making the noise which is reverberating back down the pipes. Are you on a shared main? ....does it pass through the boiler compartment?

Have you tried turning off the water at the stopcock to see if the noise ceases.

Sponsored Links
You sure the boiler is a Worcester 24i ? The single light on the front is red.

Yeah, it says it on the front, the lights orangy red.

The noise is still there, every now and again (not regular) it goes a bit wonkey and then back to the same again.

I dont know if this will be of relevance but its quite windy here right now and ive been taking a bit of notice and wondered if it can affect the vents in any way. Im clutching at straws with that

Also, the vent they put in goes up through the loft and through the roof.

I just cannot sleep because of it. Luckly my son has gone back to sleep.

Good morning everyone.

Thanks for your patience with me wittering on last night, I was awful panicky because of my son asleep in the room facing it but now that were all up (I fell asleep around 3am) im a bit more calm as were away from it and can go out.

The plumber will hopefully call as soon as he gets my message, if not ill get someone else asap, I can live without CH/hot water for a day or two if the weathers not too bad but I cannot live with that noise, its awful.

Ill update as soon as I can and let you all know what it was, if I was putting a bet on id say something partly blocked. I dont know much about them anyway so it is just a wild guess.

Thanks again. :)

Well, the plumber came and sorted our boiler out alright.

Would you all like a laugh at my expense? :LOL:

Well, heres the diagnosis - it was flamin' spare smoke alarm at the back of the cupboard on the shelf with was sounding off because the battery was low!!!!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

I didnt spot it because on the shelf under the boiler in the cupboard is some cleaning stuff and it was right behind it.

Its a very good job we didnt get someone else out that night or it would have turned into a very expensive smoke alarm.

My husband couldnt resist taking mickey out of me and I probably wont live this down.

You would have to have been here to have seen the laughter on their faces lol.

Anyhow, needless to say, the noise has stopped and I had a very peaceful nights sleep. :oops: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Hehe, thanks Chris, its nice to know im not the only person that has happened to. :LOL:

Thanks for giving me a good laugh, just what I need.
Fair play to you for owning up though. :LOL:

Mum29, Thank you for letting on what the problem was! You just saved me from a similarly embarrassing situation. My boiler was making a hideous high pitched scream and my googling had led me to the conclusion that this was not going to be something I could fix, when I came across this thread. It just made me hold off dialling the last number for British Gas and double check there was nothing else around the boiler that could be making the noise...

Mine turned out to be coming from an electronic weather station :oops:

Oh the relief when I removed the batteries!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back