Loud high pitched noise combi boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our newish (about 7 months old) Main Eco Combi Boiler has started making a loud high pitched 'wail' about 10 minutes after the heating comes on. It then comes and goes throughout the the time the heating is on. We live in a 4 bed house, most rooms had radiators installed at the time we got the boiler. It stops when we turn the hot tap on for a few seconds in the kitchen. Pressure is at normal level. Any idea what it could be? Also makes loud clunking noises every so often but this may not be related.

Sponsored Links
Initially I would have said the fan.
But I'm perplexed as to why turning on the kitchen tap would stop it.
Does it wail if you run a bath for the hot water?

It is the diverter valve that is faulty, you can buy a service kit to repair it or buy a complete valve , better to get a RGI to install the service kit in my opinion but nothing to stop you from doing it yourself if you feel confident enough, I would also add that if that if it is only 7 months old it is still under warranty but they may refuse to carry this out if your system has not been clensed as this is the most likely cause on a 7 month old boiler

Sponsored Links
Was the system cleaned when the boiler was installed, if so and it's only 7 months old then it should still be under warranty as Ian suggested, I'd get in touch with the manufacturer.

Thanks. I will get in touch with the manufacturer then. I would be amazed if the system wasn't cleansed at the time of installation. We have one of those fliter gizmos attached to the bottom of the unit - would that make a difference? :confused:

You would know if it was flushed prior to the new boiler going in. Big water container with a pump on the top of it with a chap running it for most of the day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back