Constant pressure water pump questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
At my mother-in-law's house in Thailand the mains water feeds into a tank, and a 250-watt Hitachi constant pressure pump supplies the house from the tank at a suitable almost-constant pressure.

This pump is working, but it's quite noisy and, even with only a toilet cistern drawing water, it's cycling on/off at about 2-second intervals, much to the annoyance of a neighbour.

The pump's about 7 years old, so the simple solution would be to replace it completely, but I'm just wondering if there's any simpler remedy. To confuse things a bit, my sister-in-law has been asking around, and tells me that she's been told that a square tank gives more-constant pressure. I think there's something lost in translation there, so any thoughts on that please?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsored Links
Pressure is due to height..nothing to do with the shape of a cistern but that's just pressure to feed to pump, the pump itself will determine the available outlet pressure.
You'd need to find the pump model no. or link to the manual to give us a clue but it's possible it just needs an expansion vessel re-inflating.

Thanks for responding to such a vague enquiry Gasguru. We have a language problem here, exacerbated by the fact that the house owner (my sister in law) hasn't the faintest idea about anything technical. Having Googled a bit, I suspect the advice she got about a "square tank" (by which I think she was referring to the pump's pressure vessel) might in fact have been somebody recommending 'Square D' brand pressure switches.

Anyway, I can't find the model number on the pump, other than it's Hitachi 250 watts. But your suggestion of the expansion vessel needing repressuring, sounds logical, along with my thought that it's maybe simply the pressure switch that's too sensitive. Given the pump's age (7 years) and the fact it's outdoors in a tropical climate, isn't it likely that loss of pressure (if that's the issue) is caused by degradation of the rubber, or whatever, membrane? There's no leaks evident in the pressure vessel itself.

On any pressure vessel the pressure should be checked annually at least and topped up.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back