Constantly having to bleed radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have an oil fired CH system with 10 radiators. In the past two months I have found myself having to continuously bleed the system as a small panel in the hall and a large panel in the bedroom are only warm to half way up and full of air.
Once I bleed the system it's fine for a week and then I have to do it again as the same two panels are only warm.

What could be causing this? Where can the air be getting in?

Sponsored Links
The dirt found in a heating system is called magnetite, and it has the curious property of producing its own hydrogen gas.
Next time you bleed, try and light the gas that comes out (unless the bleed valves are plastic, of course....) sure impresses people, too!
Its a sure sign of a dirty system.
Of course, air could be drawn in somewhere, but water leaks could be obvious too.
John :)

Sponsored Links
It is perfectly safe to light hydrogen from a ch system. Collect the gas by inverting a tin over the bleed screw and allowing the lighter than air gas to fill the tin. Remove the tin to a safe area and apply ignition source. There you go.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back