Constructing a false chimney breast for gas fire and flue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, we are part way through building a flat roof extension on the rear of our house and as part of the extension we would like a gas fire.
My thoughts at the moment are to construct a false chimney breast using metal studs and fire board and to fit the pre owned gas fire and sandstone surround we have purchased.
The fire and surround are 5 years old and pretty much exactly what we would of purchased new.
The fires a Nuflame hotbox h.e and although we have the install and user instructions theres a few grey areas.
I’m not installing the fire itself or running the gas pipes but I would like to build the false chimney breast, install the flue (before the roofs fibre glassed next week) and fit the surround.
Do I need a shallow flue box to install the fire?
I’m guessing the flue should not touch the ply or insulation as it passes through the roof is there a collar of some sort?
The flue will be 4 metres away from the main house is there a minimum length the flue should show on top of the finished roof?
I’ve got some time off work and I’m keen to carry out as much of the build as possible to keep costs down and I enjoy it .
Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back