Construction documentation for self build

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,

After speaking to building control about a planned, largely self build, rear extension within permitted development, they strongly advised I get a book or documentation of construction methods etc. I know that the planning portal has a useful documents section at the following link, with lots of parts (A, B, C, D):

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/
Can anyone advise of any other useful docuemntation/books worth gettign my hands on?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody,

You sure there is a 10th edition. All my searches are coming up with an 8th edition only. :?:

Sponsored Links
Can anyone advise of any other useful docuemntation/books worth gettign my hands on?

Thanks

The book referenced above should be on your bookshelf but it presumes some knowledge of building trades. It gives you a good idea on how to do something if you already know what you need to do, and it's also very good for making sure that builders working on your house are doing things properly.

For self bulders like yourself there are books like "The Housebuilder's Bible" by Mark Brinkley, ISBN 1905959443. Which is more of an idiot's guide. There is/was a thriving self build industry out there and plenty of books, some good and some not so good. Start with Brinkley's.

Then there is this site, I would hang on every word theoldun says. Others also give generally good advice but if you can lure oldun to a thread then you can safely ignore the rest. Hang around long enough and you will work out who to listen to. Some give good advice on one forum, bad advice on another, so get to grips with that too.

From a fellow DIY hack.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back