constructional engineer?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it law to get a constructional engineer for an extension above an existing garage? nothing out of the ordinary with the job in hand. Or is a building control enough?

Sponsored Links
Maybe I'm being thick but I don't understand your post, whats a constructional engineer? Need a set of drawings knocked up?:cool:

No ive got all the drawings, someone said to me that i need a structural engineer i cant see why as ive got the plans etc

You often need an SE to provide the design to support the inner skin/roof etc although anyone who is suitably qualified and insured can do this, have you had your plans approved by Building Control? Hard to answer without more info tbh ie what is the wall construction from foundation to existing roof level and what is the proposed wall construction from first floor up?

Sponsored Links
Plans were approved 2 years ago and no mention on a SE then, the ground floor wall is double skin brick on one side and single on other side. upper level is going to be timber frame. Plan details read that one steel beam required 150mm min as front needs to be set back 1metre. sorry prob not much help as i know very little about building etc.

Plan details read that one steel beam required 150mm min as front needs to be set back 1metre. sorry prob not much help as i know very little about building etc.
ah, this little snippet tells all.
Yes you do need someone to design this beam, the padstones, underwrite with his insurance and you will need to ensure the existing found's are suitable.

ah thanks very much, all it says in my plans are as i said 150mm min into padstones, will the building control need to see this in writting or can i just get it and go ahead? amny thanks for your help so far :D

There is a very strong possibility building control will request calculations for the beam, checks on overall stability and foundations.. if you do not have these and proceed on building the extension at your own risk.. you may end up with some expensive remedial works required..

I would have expected to see a condition stating calcs to be provided. Do not assume they won't ask if this condition is not written though.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back