consumer unit change

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi lads

I have been asked to change an old consumer unit (wired fuses) for a new MCB and RCD split board. I know that I would have to firstly inspect the circuits (and most importanly the condition of the wiring) before I changed the board its just that other sparkys I have talked to often change the board regardless. Anyone got any comments?? Thanks

Sponsored Links
You are doing it the correct way. Not only proving what is already there but covering yourself against "but it was ok before you came round" syndrome

You can check the individual circuits with test equipment but you can never know for certain there are no hidden wires with nails through them etc. I sometimes go to houses and find they still have old rubber covered cable. I can advise the customer of the safety implications of perished, crumbling insulation but at the end of the day it is up to them whether they go for a rewire.

Sponsored Links
Just to note. If you replace the CCU and subsequently find a fault, you cannot change back to the old board. So customer would be left with no power, not a good senario.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back