consumer unit change.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
quick question. when the consumer unit is replaced, what do you have to do in the way of testing and certifying. do you have to test every circuit and record this on an eic. ie, R1 + R2, insulation tests, efli, etc, etc. ive just built an extension for a neighbour. he had a sparky in about 6 months ago to wire swa down the garden to his office. he has lighting and power for computer, kettle, etc. the spark changed the board with a split 12 way. he issued 2 "minor" certs. one for the swa. one for the office ring circuit. but no mention of the board change.

Sponsored Links
You issue a full EIC for the consumer unit change, on which you record the details of all the circuits connected, as you have, in effect, modified every circuit by dint of having changed the method of protection.

And any new circuit requires a full EIC, not just a MWC.

thanks for the quick responce. that was what i thought. i noticed 3 departures under the stairs, but no mention of them under comments. bs 951 clamp to lead sheath. bonding clamp to gas fitted to suppliers side. no safety, do not remove labels.

You effectively need to do a pir and correct any deviations before energising the new board! It's gotten real scary now. The entire property has to be up to standard in every way or don't touch it (advice to me from niceic inspector).

Sponsored Links
my neighbour is a real p r i c k. we done the wiring, tested and connected it up. all was well. he said to me the next day, ive got a gripe. he put a spirit level on one of the sockets and it is not level. but, he wont get the old sparky back to sort his s h i t paperwork out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back