Consumer Unit confusion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My semi was built in about 1966. The lighting circuits are just 2 wire with no earth. The supply for the house is through a distribution box with wire fuses. The whole system has worked fine for all of the 40 odd years I've lived here. I could count the number of blown fuses on one hand. (all from tracable sources).
My wife whats a consumer unit with trip switches because she can't change a fuse. This is the problem.
First electrician said it is illegal for him to make the change without re-wiring the 2 core lighting circuit. The second electrician said he could make the change if all the lights and switches on the lighting circuit were changed to Class 2 fittings. The third electrician said he could simply change the consumer unit provided he put a yellow sticker on it saying there is no earth on the lighting circuit.
I would be happy with the 3rd option.
Anyone shed any light please?

Regards

Mike

Sponsored Links
The second option.

It is not illegal to replace a consumer unit where the circuits have no earth.
However the circuits do need to be safe, and class 1 electrical fittings with no earth connection are not.
The label about no earth is required, it states that class 1 fittings must not be used.

option 2. You MUST NOT have metal fittings on an unearthed lighting circuit. Has your wife recently taken out a life insurance policy on you?

Second option is the right one. 2nd guy also needs to put a sticker on but he's right.

You should just buy some spare fuse carriers and leave them on top of the fusebox pre-wired.

Wife problem = solved

Sponsored Links
I have a feeling the CU will be a Wylex Standard

please show us a photo

They can be converted to MCB though it's not a first-class solution.

There's nothing wrong with that Wylex board - it's even AMD 3 compliant.

But they have installed the tails wrong - they should run through separate holes for best effect and there's no copper hanging out of the terminals.

(JOKE)

How do you know "there's nothing wrong with that Wylex" ?

We don't even know what it looks like.

After half a century, it just may be due for an upgrade.

There's nothing wrong with that Wylex board - it's even AMD 3 compliant.

View media item 15086But they have installed the tails wrong - they should run through separate holes for best effect and there's no copper hanging out of the terminals.

(JOKE)
Actually the original reason this was posted (several years ago) was not for the CU itself, rather for the 'additional' wiring in the top of the black unit, they disappeared off to the Landlords part of the property and used to support his unusual horticultural interest.

The bit I missed completely until pointed out when I posted this first, is the 1/2" hole in the bottom by the live bar.

WIth a new CU the Trouble could be; when a lamp fails your B6 MCB will open and you will need to reset it.

Actually the original reason this was posted (several years ago) was not for the CU itself, rather for the 'additional' wiring in the top of the black unit, they disappeared off to the Landlords part of the property and used to support his unusual horticultural interest.
At least that additional wiring originates on the consumer's side of a meter - even if not the right person's meter!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back