Consumer Unit Distance from Meter and Lockable Isolator

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I've been reading this forum a LOT over the last few weeks for reference, but now need to ask a question of my own. I'd really appreciate some help! :)

I'm doing a flat refurbishment where the consumer unit will be inside the flat and the electrical meter outside. Someone has told me that if the consumer unit is more than 3 metres away from the electrical meter, there needs to be an isolator next to the meter.

My question is:

Is it true that I need an isolator next to the meter if the consumer unit is 3m or more away? Is it because of regs, or just good practice?

Second part of the question is:

If I do need an isolator, can anyone suggest a 63A one which is lockable in the "on" position so that nobody can switch my house off from outside without a key?

Cheers everyone!

:D

Sponsored Links
It is the DNO (electricity supplier) that places a limit on the length of the tails.

3 metres is the usual limit.

A KMF switchfuse like THIS could be used but not lockable, and (in any event) the fuse could be easily taken out. Most isolators provide the facility to lock in the OFF position, but not in the ON position.
You'd need to look and see if this is true or my imagination.

One thing that I am wondering: how would you do this?
The DNO's supply is sealed and the only way to install a switchfuse would be to break the DNO's seal and take out the fuse - a dangerous and illegal activity.

I'm doing a flat refurbishment where the consumer unit will be inside the flat and the electrical meter outside. Someone has told me that if the consumer unit is more than 3 metres away from the electrical meter, there needs to be an isolator next to the meter. My question is: Is it true that I need an isolator next to the meter if the consumer unit is 3m or more away? Is it because of regs, or just good practice? Second part of the question is: If I do need an isolator, can anyone suggest a 63A one which is lockable in the "on" position so that nobody can switch my house off from outside without a key?
As has been intimated, if anything is needed it would be a switchfuse, not just an isolator. Would it not be possible to position one just inside the property, close to where the feed from the meter enters? However, as you've already been asked, how do you intend to achieve any work on the meter tails?

I would add that some (not many, I think) meters have a built in isolator/switch, so are you certain that the local vandals don't already have a means of cutting off the electricity supply from outside?!

Kind Regards, John.

I would add that some (not many, I think) meters have a built in isolator/switch, so are you certain that the local vandals don't already have a means of cutting off the electricity supply from outside?!
And even if there is no isolator the vandals can still just rip out the service fuse.

Sponsored Links
If vandals did rip the service fuse out, then it might provide a golden opportunity for the OP to install his/her isolator.

I'm doing a flat refurbishment where the consumer unit will be inside the flat and the electrical meter outside. Someone has told me that if the consumer unit is more than 3 metres away from the electrical meter, there needs to be an isolator next to the meter.

My question is:

Is it true that I need an isolator next to the meter if the consumer unit is 3m or more away? Is it because of regs, or just good practice?
What does your electrician say about it?

If I do need an isolator, can anyone suggest a 63A one which is lockable in the "on" position so that nobody can switch my house off from outside without a key?
Put the meters etc into a lockable cupboard?

Yes, there is no difference to it being in a properly locked house with a burglar alarm and a rotweiler inside.

If the dno want to get at it, they can break into your house anyway.

Note, only in exceptional circustances and with controls

Also remember that the "Smart Meter" rollout starts in 2014 so the amount of meter reader will start to drop anyway.

I have seen standard meter cupboards with a tough transparent plastic shield inside never looked to see how it is removed but meter reader can read meter but not access any of the equipment.

Clearly with flats much more than 3 meters but normally a cable rather than double insulated singles.

The old MEM metal isolators were lockable in the on position clearly in the case of a fire the brigade will remove the fuse.

The debate on fuse seals and live working has been going on for a long time and unless the DNO provide the isolator then there may be an occasion for any electrician to remove the fuse clearly only in an emergency. To do a consumer unit change one should get the DNO to remove the fuse and then replace once it has been done. Yes and one is really going to do that. It's always the consumer unit was damaged and dangerous and the fuse had to be removed to make it safe.

Thank you all for your advice on this. It seems that everyone agrees that the fuse in the meter is going to defeat the whole idea of a lockable isolator/fuse, so the meter would need to be in a lockable housing, which the DNO may or may not agree with!

For the isolator/fuse, assuming that I have the correct amp rating, is everyone referring to something like this: http://www.screwfix.com/p/square-d-twinbreak-63a-spn-switch-disconnector-fuse/81625#

They seem pricey - does anyone know a place where I could get more economical ones?

For a housing, I was thinking of something like this with a padlock:

http://www.meterboxesdirect.co.uk/products/electrical-cabinets/EBP0012/

Many thanks to all of you! :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back