Consumer unit isolator burnt out

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I was changing a bathroom 'light' 'switch ,which was actually a 45 amp pull cord shower switch controlling 4 downlights and the fan.( A separate switch beside the light switch has been installed at some point to feed an electric shower, but only has the supply cable connected). I connected the new switch, powered up and the socket mcb tripped and this has fried the consumer unit main isolator switch. On Investigation there is a loose , and split 1mm cable lying in the ceiling space which I am assuming is the cause of the short. The wiring to the downlighters is really poor quality work and certainly.ly needs to be done properly. No earth wires visible!. I will not have the chance to investigate further until tomorrow but would welcome any suggestions/ ideas. Why would a cable in a ceiling space cause this situation.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
I agree with @JohnD a lighting supply should not be able to draw enough current to burn out a 100 amp isolator, the shower supply maybe, but only if some thing wrong with the isolator to start with.

Hi, certainly puzzling. What I don't understand is why the short tripped the 'sockets' mcb and not the mcb for the lights! And also why it fried the isolator.

Sponsored Links
Hi, certainly puzzling. What I don't understand is why the short tripped the 'sockets' mcb and not the mcb for the lights! And also why it fried the isolator.
Firstly, to be clear, are you sure that what is tripping is a 'sockets' MCB, rather than an RCBO (the latter with a test button)?

If it is an MCB then, as you and other have said/implied, it sounds as if something(s) is/are very wrong with your wiring. A sockets circuit MCB should only trip as a result of a very high ('excessive') current in the sockets circuit and, if it did trip for that reason, the whole point would be to prevent anything getting 'fried'!

Kind Regards, John

PartID_CU.jpg
Note the RCBO and RCD have a test button, and the isolator always has a red lever.

Many thanks for your responses. Definately MCB. Consumer unit is a Legrand, possibly a good few years old. As I mentioned the downlighter wiring is a mess . Cables terminated in chock blocks but not contained within an enclosure. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow when I have the chance to investigate further. Thanks again

Many thanks for your responses. Definately MCB. Consumer unit is a Legrand, possibly a good few years old. As I mentioned the downlighter wiring is a mess . Cables terminated in chock blocks but not contained within an enclosure. I will try to get some pictures tomorrow when I have the chance to investigate further. Thanks again
OK, thanks for confirming.

As I implied, if doing things to the lighting circuit has caused a sockets circuit MCB to trip, and has also damaged a main isolator, then I would say that you need an electrician to look into what could be serious problems with the wiring of your installation.

Do I take it that you are sure that the work you were doing was on a lighting circuit? I presume it must have been since, otherwise, you would porobably have got a shock whilst doing the work!

Kid Regards, John

Hi, well what did today uncover? Someone at some point appears to have added a second ring main wired in 1.5mm cable and for some reason has lead a spur from one of the sockets into the bathroom ceiling space. This was the wire which had shorted out the sockets mcb. The downlighter wiring is appalling, as is the fan wiring. Anyway had a quote today for a new consumer unit and the guy is recommending an MK 10 way rcd unit. What are your thoughts on MK? My preference would have been Hager.

Attachments

• 20200819_144910.jpg
    20200819_144910.jpg
    194.1 KB · Views: 315
  • 20200819_122930.jpg
    20200819_122930.jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 336
  • 20200819_104440.jpg
    20200819_104440.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 300
MK 10 way rcd unit. What are your thoughts on MK?
Obsolete since last year, contains the wrong type of RCDs, surge protection not an option and only chosen because it's on clearance special at Screwfix. Pretty much the worst possible choice.

Hager with RCBOs. Or same from Wylex, Crabtree, Schneider.

MK seemingly decided that all the new surge protection/RCD types/arc fault protection that is coming in was too hard and decided to get out of the CU market. Anyone fitting one of their CUs now for anything other than a short term temporary installation is either ignorant or doesn't care about their customers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back