Consumer Unit Mounting

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to mount a consumer unit in a wooden workshop. I have been led to believe that you are no longer allowed to mount on to wood? Once again I would appreciate your advice on how or what to use? Thanks Marcus.

Sponsored Links
I can't see a problem with that.

Presumably you are using a modern all metal consumer unit?

Assuming this is typical shed construction, it is normal to fit a sheet of plywood or chipboard to the 'uprights' in the shed, and fit the cu to that, to prevent the screws going through to the outside.

With all electrical connections properly terminated and all holes correctly sealed in the cu, there shouldn't be a major issue, unless anyone can see I've missed something.

I can't see a problem with that.
Nor ne, for what it's worth. The (somewhat controversial) 'Amd3' reguklation merely requires a 'non-combustible' CU, and does not concern itself with what it is attached to..
With all electrical connections properly terminated and all holes correctly sealed in the cu, there shouldn't be a major issue, unless anyone can see I've missed something.
Indeed. The only thing I would add is that regs, per se, only require 'sealing' to IP4X on the top surface and IP2X elsewhere (i.e. no requirement for protection against water ingress) but, in the case of a shed, I would think one probably ought to address the issue of possible water ingress, particularly on the top surface.

Kind Regards, John

I think it's safe to say that I may have had an unnecessary concern? There is minimal risk from water penetration as the shed is double skinned osb with external timber cladding and a vapour barrier. I will be using a metal-clad CU which I can easily off-set. As ever I do appreciate all your help!

Sponsored Links
Always a good idea though to avoid cables going in the top, if you can get them to go in the back instead.

I think it's safe to say that I may have had an unnecessary concern? There is minimal risk from water penetration as the shed is double skinned osb with external timber cladding and a vapour barrier. I will be using a metal-clad CU which I can easily off-set. As ever I do appreciate all your help!
Fair enough. However, assuming the shed is not heated, there is likely to be a risk of at least 'dampness' - so reasonable 'sealing' of the CU (and, as sparkwright says, avoidance of holes in the top of the CU if possible) is probably desirable.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back