Fitting consumer unit vertically

Sponsored Links
As I said (and you quoted), as far as I am concerned it makes no difference to anything.
If none of those things make any difference then none of them can be changing the number of phases in the supplies to the installations.

Can you have a three phase supply with only one phase (+N) entering the building?
As I've said, as far as I am concerned the answer is 'no'. I can't see how my building can be said to be 'supplied' by something that doesn't enter it.

As you know, my view goes further than that. Even if all three phase conductors (all 'live') enter the building (and the cutout), if the DNO (or someone authorised by them) has not connected anything to two of the phases at the cutout, then I still do not regard that as a "3-phase supply".

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If none of those things make any difference then none of them can be changing the number of phases in the supplies to the installations.
Exactly. That's precisely what I've been saying. If only one phase is connected to anything within the building, I regard that as a single-phase supply, regardless of what other (live or dead) phase conductors may physically enter the building.

However, we've moved quite a long way from discussing my situation, since I do use all three phases that enter the building.

Kind Regards, John

my view goes further than that. Even if all three phase conductors (all 'live') enter the building (and the cutout), if the DNO (or someone authorised by them) has not connected anything to two of the phases at the cutout, then I still do not regard that as a "3-phase supply"
You may only have a single phase installation but there are three phases there should you wish to use them.

Therefore, it surely must be a three phase supply.

You may only have a single phase installation but there are three phases there should you wish to use them. Therefore, it surely must be a three phase supply.
I think that "You" probably ought to be "One" again!

We've been through this, and are views simply differ. Regardless of what enters the cutout (from upstream), if the DNO has only connected cable to one of the phase 'outputs' of the cutout, two of the phases are not "there should you wish to use them" - and one would require DNO permission and action in order to make those other two phases available for the consumer to use.

Kind Regards, John

Regardless of what enters the cutout (from upstream), if the DNO has only connected cable to one of the phase 'outputs' of the cutout, two of the phases are not "there should you wish to use them" - and one would require DNO permission and action in order to make those other two phases available for the consumer to use.
Of course, but it is still there.

One's installation is single phase at present but the supply is three phase (there are three phases available) should the DNO be asked to reconnect it.

Of course, but it is still there. One's installation is single phase at present but the supply is three phase (there are three phases available) should the DNO be asked to reconnect it.
As I said, our views about this differ, and I don't think anything is to be gained by our both repeatedly re-stating our respective views.

From my viewpoint, what is 'supplied' is a service, not cables. If the service currently being supplied is a single-phase one, then I regard it as a single-phase "supply".

I am "supplied" with several BT phone lines, which provide access to the telephone network, hence a telephone service. If I so wished (which I don't) I could request that one of the existing cables which enters my house be used also to provide me with an Internet service. However, although the physical infrastructure to that already enters my property, since I have not asked for that service, I would not say that I already am being "supplied" with an Internet connection (because I am not!).

Kind Regards, John

You may only have a single phase installation but there are three phases there should you wish to use them.

Therefore, it surely must be a three phase supply.
Of course, but it is still there.

One's installation is single phase at present but the supply is three phase (there are three phases available) should the DNO be asked to reconnect it.
But what is the purpose of the unused phases?

In a single installation?
That obviously depends upon what one regards as an "installation", and your opinion obviously differs from that of a good few others. When I last looked at my Poll, your view was outnumbered 9-2 (and that's without a vote from myself, so effectively 10-2) - the majority believing that my house has just one "installation".

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back