Does new board need to be horizontal?

I have never seen a 3 phase board with vertical mcb's or rcd's, and I doubt whether they exist anywhere in the world.

Sponsored Links
I think I've seen them in North America, in a sort of 20-inch rack arrangement.

But the NA split-phase complicates things.

Sponsored Links
They make (made??) fuse ones:

screenshot_1282.jpg

With some makes single pole, DP and TP busbars are interchangeable, so people could always put together a horizontal one.

But needing to use ways 3 or 4 at a time soon eats up the space, and if the number of ways isn't a good multiple then space is wasted. I've always assumed that that, and the fact that generally cupboards tend to be taller than they are wide, or wall space tends to be more expansive vertically than horizontally, is why 3P boards are tall and narrow vs short and wide.

They make (made??) fuse ones:

I knew my post would have you scurrying around to find a contradiction, that's why I added "anywhere in the world":D How long has it taken you to find that piece of irrelevant information?

I knew my post would have you scurrying around to find a contradiction, that's why I added "anywhere in the world":D
If that really is the case then you have shown yourself to be even more childish than you already appeared.

Coo, quality!

It notice that is doeth state::
  • Available in vertical arrangement for restricted width applications;
Could be handy; if only it wasn't made by P......

• Blimey, you live and learn, but I bet that's the only one in existence in the whole wide world.

Currently got an old bakelite fuse board located in a wooden cupboard in my hallway.

Just starting extending the kitchen and will probably replace with a new board when the sparky does the kitchen wiring.

The wooden built in cupboard isn't very wide so I was wondering if the new board could be mounted on its side rather than its proposed horizontal position.

I recently had the same issue and ended up having a Hager Design 10 dual row board installed. It consists of two rows of 8 ways in a split load configuration which provided a total of 10 usable ways. The dimensions are 227mm wide and 486mm high and therefore isn't much larger than a traditional 10 way split load board installed on its side.

Here is the product listing on the Hager site:
http://www.hager.co.uk/product-cata...-of-consumer-units/design-30/vm846h/57948.htm

They also make a larger version with two rows of 12 ways giving 18 usable ways in split load configuration. This isn't a great deal larger at 299mm wide and 486mm high.

I hope this helps.

Diyer, that one looks quite good, but it looks like an expensive version of 2 CU's mounted above each other! Unless you were going for that range design 30 anyway of course. What are the benefits specifically of one unit with 2 rows?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back