Fused spur - distance to draining board

If I was wiring a kitchen and wanted sockets to be six feet away from the taps or a metal sink, I could easily do it.

BTW, a switch or FCU for a fixed appliance is not a socket.

Sponsored Links
It used to be defined in the 16th under the section "object and effects" reg 120-02, in the 18th its defined under "scope" reg 114, located near the front of the book.
It basically says they can be used in a court of law as evidence to claim compliance with a statutory requirement
Mmmm. Do you think that might not be statutory? :)

The only electrical law for domestic premises (apart from notifications) is Building Regulation Part P itself which just states that safety must be ensured.

Sponsored Links
You know very well that, though the regs may not strictly be law, they are used as a benchmark as to whether an installation is installed competently and is safe to use.
Indeed, and the courts probably regard BS7671 as being more than just a 'benchmark' ...

Approved DOC P is intended to be a guide to the interpretation/implementation of the law (Part P of the Building Regs), and Courts are likely to regard it as such. It effectively says that compliance with BS7671 implies compliance with the law, and Courts are likely to accept that - so to be able to demonstrate compliance with BS7671 would be an excellent defence if anyone was ever accused in court with having failed to comply with Part P (has that ever happened, I wonder?).

It's less straightforward the other way around. As I think Approved Doc P also says, non-compliance with BS7671 does not necessarily mean non-compliance with Part P, since the accused may have some other way of demonstrating that compliance (although it is then likely to come down to matters of opinion.

Furthermore, Courts are very used to using 'non-statutory' sources of information/guidance in order to reach judgements. In the absence of written rules/regulations/guidances, the Court will often rely on (human) 'expert witnesses' - and an 'authoritive' set of written rules/regulations (even if 'not law', hence not 'mandatory') is probably going to be considered as a stronger basis for decision making than would the opinions of a human witness.

Kind Regards, John

We went through that a number of posts ago.

The outcome being that whilst they can be less safe for the intended purpose of protecting children from sticking something into the live terminal, in the instance of this thread, they were suggested for something completely different (splash guard) and thus the points made in the link were N/A.

Now, you could argue that they won't be any good as a splash guard either but that another thing for another day.

We went through that a number of posts ago.

The outcome being that whilst they can be less safe for the intended purpose of protecting children from sticking something into the live terminal, in the instance of this thread, they were suggested for something completely different (splash guard) and thus the points made in the link were N/A.

Now, you could argue that they won't be any good as a splash guard either but that another thing for another day.

The other point made from the link, was that due to non-conformity with British Standards, the dimensions of the socket covers can vary.
This in turn can splay the contacts within the socket; leading to high resistance and over heating when a plug is reinserted.

...but as you say, water resistance is another discussion! ;)

The other point made from the link, was that due to non-conformity with British Standards, the dimensions of the socket covers can vary.
This in turn can splay the contacts within the socket; leading to high resistance and over heating when a plug is reinserted.

...but as you say, water resistance is another discussion! ;)

I enjoyed the article, it's impressive that these plugs were designed in the 40's as a industry wide consolidation of the sector.

The 40's and 50's were fantastic decades for engineering and innovation.

it's impressive that these plugs were designed in the 40's as a industry wide consolidation of the sector.
I'm not sure the enthusiasm of the article for the UK socket and plug is justified.

The sockets and the holes in them are far larger than others around the world (re: babies' fingers) and others also have shutters.

The plug incorporating a fuse was only necessary to allow existing appliances designed for 15A circuits to be plugged into the new 30A ring circuit; which was invented only to facilitate extending and doubling the capacity of existing radials with the minimum of extra cable.

I'm not sure the enthusiasm of the article for the UK socket and plug is justified.

The sockets and the holes in them are far larger than others around the world (re: babies' fingers) and others also have shutters.

The plug incorporating a fuse was only necessary to allow existing appliances designed for 15A circuits to be plugged into the new 30A ring circuit; which was invented only to facilitate extending and doubling the capacity of existing radials with the minimum of extra cable.
I'll repeat again ring circuits were in service much earlier than BS1362/3

I'll repeat again ring circuits were in service much earlier than BS1362/3
As I u8nderstand it, BS1363 was initially introduced in 1947. How much earlier than that do you believe that ring circuits started being used?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back