Consumer Unit Moving

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I'm currently renovating my flat and have removed most of the old lathe and plaster walls and ceilings but I have one small patch left which the consumer unit sits on. There is an isolator switch on the main supply box in the basement, so is it considered OK for me to take the box off the wall and just refix it to the new plasterboard wall? I know consumer units are generally considered a no go area, but I am not touching the wiring, just want get new board behind it. Or should I still get an electrician out to remove screws and refix?

Cheers,
Peter

Sponsored Links
The screw connectors used in consumer units can be loosened by movement and make a connection that can heat up.
I would expect at the minimum the connections would all be checked by the qualified electrician after the move.
I would also like them to do basic testing on each circuit to make sure the protective device would actually be suitable, although that would mostly find existing problems, but it could detect any broken cables caused by the move.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back