Consumer Unit Near Sink.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Am helping mate do odd jobs on a building project he has. Went round yesterday and he has designed a new kitchen layout, however this means the electric meter and consumer unit will be in a cupboard directly above the kitchen sink!! surely this can't be right.. any idea??? i know about sockets within 300mm of edge of sink on horizontal but what about above.

Sponsored Links
Afaict there are no specific regs about how far electicial equipment should be from kitchen sinks just the general catchall that equipment should be suitable for it's environment.

If the equipment is in a cupboard then that should keep the splashes off so I don't see any problem.

It's not a great place to have a CU, newly designed kitchen? and can't find a better place for it. As mentioned by all the above bad practice, but best bet if no alternative is at least enclose it in a splashproof cabinet.
Not normally an issue as sinks are normally found under a window.

Sponsored Links
It's not a great place to have a CU, newly designed kitchen? and can't find a better place for it. As mentioned by all the above bad practice, but best bet if no alternative is at least enclose it in a splashproof cabinet.
Not normally an issue as sinks are normally found under a window.

Seemed like a bad idea to me, but its how he has designed it, as its a lounge/kitchen in a maisonnette. Thanks for the replies. All work will be done by certified electrician.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back