Consumer unit next to water pipes/joints?

Get those pipes moved, if that service header/main fuse unit gets soaked, there will be an explosion, as the next fuse upstream is 800amps at the substation!

Sponsored Links
Get those pipes moved, if that service header/main fuse unit gets soaked, there will be an explosion, as the next fuse upstream is 800amps at the substation!
I certainly agree that the pipes need to be moved, but I wonder what actually does/would happen if the cutout got soaked - do you/westie/whoever know? With only ~230V driving it, I'm not sure that you would get a vast current flowing through water.

Kind Regards, John

Well in 2009 Cockermouth got flooded to a depth of over 6 foot in places. In most cases we just dried the cut-outs before re-energising.
Similarly in 197? parts of the Fylde near Blackpool got flooded by salt water, same again most cut-outs survived.

Still not taking the chance though

Sponsored Links
Well in 2009 Cockermouth got flooded to a depth of over 6 foot in places. In most cases we just dried the cut-outs before re-energising. Similarly in 197? parts of the Fylde near Blackpool got flooded by salt water, same again most cut-outs survived. ... Still not taking the chance though
Sure - but that's what I was think/expecting. Particularly with 'fresh' water, I would very much doubt that, even if a cutout (or anything else containing a 23)V pd) were submerged in water, that enough current would flow through the water for the current, per se, to be high enough to be a particular problem (although there would clearly be risks of electric shock).

Kind Regards, John

I suspect a slightly damp cutout would be more dangerous than a completely submerged one though, I could be wrong of course

I suspect a slightly damp cutout would be more dangerous than a completely submerged one though, I could be wrong of course
Dangerous in what respect? In relation to current flow through the water (and whatever consequences that current might have) I would have thought the more water, the worse it would get - particularly with a metal cutout, since there would be an extensive L-E, as well as a L-N, path if it were full of water.

I still doubt that any degree of wetness would result in any very large currents.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back