Platsic pipe - earthing???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just added a bit of plastic pipe into my currently all copper pipework.
The pipework intercepts the pipes before they go down to the downstairs toilet and sink.

I was just worried that this has now broken the circuit for earthing. Is this something I should be worried about? at most there is a break of about a foot with plastic instead of copper. Should I run an earth wire from one side of the copper to the other?

The new pipework is going to a shower and sink, does any of this need bonding? The shower is electric and the sink has a monobloc type tap.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
As far as I am aware; if your pipe work to your sink is pvc you cannot bond this.

How ever you do make a good point about your EBADDS status, to be absolutely safe I would personally be 'shunting across the PVC to produce a continuous route to earth.

What does everyone else say?

In an all copper installation, you must bridge across any insulating addition unless the size of the insulating part negates the need for bonding.

In rooms containing a bath or shower you must install supplementary bonding - that is the connection of the circuit protective conductors of all appliances within the room to all metal pipes entering the room.

If the pipes are electrically continuous you can use the pipes as a bonding conductor. The same applies for the CPC's of circuits i.e you can bond at the shower isolator switch and not at the shower itself because the CPC of the shower cable acts as the bonding conductor.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back