Consumer Unit Positioning

any earth rod install MUST be professionally tested

there is not really general method to install rods so they comply it depends so much on soil type groundwater level etc

Sponsored Links
ryanj said:
Crawlspace - Small area under the floorboards of the ground floor.
I was afraid you meant that.

Plugwash is right - needs to be in soil that gets wet. One should be enough, though

Okay - got the earthing arrangments sorted out.

Now, inside the consumer unit, would it be acceptable to simply use a 100mA type-delay RCD as the main switch, and then treat it as it was a TN supply? ie. 30mA RCBO's on vunerable circuits?

Thanks!

As long as your definition of "vulnerable" encompasses "all socket circuits", then yes.

Sponsored Links
all socket cuircuits must be on 30ma rcd on a TT this can be achived with either a split load or rcbos

the 100ma type S rcd needs to be in a plastic enclosure and really should be the very first thing in your install

another thing give your rec a ring they may be able to convert you to PME and save you the hassle

yeah and it avoids the need for that expensive type S rcd

Take a TT supply, install multiple earth rods along the way, connected to the neutral conductor, and hey presto - PME.

Are power company likely to do this for "me" (every where else on the street/substation is TT) for free?

well seomtimes its free sometimes its about £70 (which is still cheaper than a type S rcd so your still winning) depends on the rec

pme isn't that hard for the rec to do they may have to do some work on the pole and run a new drop to your shouse but thats about the maximum that could be needed

£70 to upgrade a supply.

£300 to move a meter.

Doesn't make much sense. But i've got in touch with my REC, see what they say. If it's possible i'll rewire then get them to upgrade. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back