Consumer Unit Replacement time.

Sponsored Links
Yes.

Further, I forgot to add, if you have a TT supply, you must not fit a metal-clad CU unless your supply tails are protected by an RCD

MasterAbacus said:
Thanks for that, But i will be doing this myself.... there are enough helpfull people online and plenty of books or online information about, that I refuse to pay a Sparks hourly rate.... Im not a complete novice, Its just been a while since ive done this kind of work...

So, you know how to carry out a full inspection and test of your installation, you understand all the test values returned from your calibrated equipment and can correct all deficiencies found, prior to changing the consumer unit? Obviously you have or have access to an up-to-date copy of BS 7671 and know how to use it and therefore understand that the issue of an installation certificate is an integral part of complying with those regulations? You understand your liability to comply with certain statutory regulations, such as Building Regulations and your further duty of care to users, present and future, of your installation?

I see plenty of electrical work, carried out by people who clearly did not understand what they were doing but had a go anyway, presumably on the assumption that electricians require nothing more than on-the-job, trial-and-error training (I've spent that last three days ripping out an abomination of bung-it-in, half-assed, made-up circuitry). I'd like to hope you're not going to become another one of them, especially as changing a consumer unit is absolutely not a simple, DIY job - it is potentially much more problematic than a full rewire.

Seriously, 'not a complete novice' is a long, long way short of the required competence, but I suspect you'll still go ahead anyway. In which case I just hope your house is detached.

3 cheers for dingbat...... :D

absolutelly spot on, to be honest it sounds harsh but thats the reality. ive come across many a person who think that being an electrician is just a matter of a few months watchin somebody else do it and then your away.

indeed am currently working in industrial maintenance and am harassed daily by superiors who seem to think they know it all.

if there is one thing ive learnt its that the ''it'l be alright'' attitude just isnt acceptable when your potentially playing with people's lives.

phew..... thats got that off my chest :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
...and it's all gone strangely quiet.....sshh...d'you think he's gone ahead anyway....these pesky tradesmen, I'll show 'em....

securespark said:
Further, I forgot to add, if you have a TT supply, you must not fit a metal-clad CU unless your supply tails are protected by an RCD
well MK sell kits for doing just that (iirc they include a cover for the incomer terminals and BIG plastic bushings for the tail entries)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back