Consumer Unit Wiring Question

As we all know, nothing exempts any electrical work which comes within the scope of Part P from the requirement to comply with Part P.
That's a strange sentence.
I suppose it is - but do you understand what I mean? The (few sentences which constitute) text of Part P defines its scope, and any electrical work which comes within that scope has to comply - with no ifs, buts or exemptions.
Yes, quite.

However, that's not what I was asking - as you will have seen, I was asking whether any/all work in such a building is non-notifiable.
As far as the Building Regulations are concerned - yes, all except part P.
I'm a little surprised that, like so many others, you seem to be rather muddling up the concepts of compliance (with Part P of the Building Regs) and notification (under the Building Regs). Whatever, what you say sounds rather like a 'No' (in terms of notification) - is that what you meant?
No. The outbuilding is no different than any other as far as part P is concerned.
It is not exempt therefore part P and schedule 4 apply.

Where do the Building Regs say that the exemption (regarding notification, not compliance) cited by Wired 1 does not apply to some Parts of the Building Regs?
They don't.
I thought wired1 was implying that even part P itself did not apply.

Sponsored Links
No. The outbuilding is no different than any other as far as part P is concerned. It is not exempt therefore part P and schedule 4 apply.
I'm getting confused - see below.
Where do the Building Regs say that the exemption (regarding notification, not compliance) cited by Wired 1 does not apply to some Parts of the Building Regs?
They don't. I thought wired1 was implying that even part P itself did not apply.
Wired1 was, I presume, referring to the fact that Section 9 of Part 2 of the Building Regs say that "these Regulations [i.e. the Building Regs, as a whole] do not apply" to outbuildings which meet the definition of Class 6 in Schedule 2 of the regs (which is the bit of text which wired1 quoted). If "the Building Regulations do not apply", then surely neither can Part P and/or Schedule 4 - since they are, after all, are merely parts of those Building Regulations (which, in that situation, "do not apply")?

Kind Regards, John

Regulation 9 exempts outbuildings which meet the definition of Class 6 in Schedule 2 from all of the Building Regulations except Parts G1, G3(2), G3(3) and P.

Sponsored Links
Regulation 9 exempts outbuildings which meet the definition of Class 6 in Schedule 2 from all of the Building Regulations except Parts G1, G3(2), G3(3) and P.
Ah, thanks - as you will realise, I'd failed to notice the "Subject to (2) and (3)" bit in reg 9. So, we're back to common sense and intuition. Apologies for any confusion.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back