Consumer Unit Wiring

just make sure your on a normal tariff and not economy 7 else you will be paying too much during the day

Sponsored Links
Not a good idea to have loft light on the same circuit as upstairs lights.
That said, its a pain to run a dedicated feed for it.
- Although another solution is to have an FCU off the upstairs ring I suppose.

You have to run a cable up to the loft for the upstairs lights. It is only a small bit of effort to run two cables along that route instead of just one.

Sponsored Links
I've just been looking around the site and found something I hope I don't have to worry about. My mate hasn't been round yet I just emailed him the picture that you have all seen for him to give me a rough price but as all the house is wired with red/black does this mean ill have to folk out for a complete re-wire?

loft light (maybe) (just get him to put this on the upstairs lights, no need for separate circuit)
Not a good idea to have loft light on the same circuit as upstairs lights.
[1] when working on the upstairs lights there is not loft light
[2] if you are in the loft and the lights trip both sides of the access hatch are in darkness

I think (assuming no rewire is taking place already) I would probably save the disruption of pulling a new cable all the way to the loft, I would put an EM fitting in there, loft usage would dictate sustained / mainatained or just an extra non-maintained light.

Aurora do some really freaking badass emergency lights that are about 80% brightness on their 3 hour battery (LED of course). Not cheap but really good quality

On the Left Hand fusebox, the smaller fuses appears nearest the main switch, and the larger fuses furthest from main switch - Doesn't seem right to me? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

On the Left Hand fusebox, the smaller fuses appears nearest the main switch, and the larger fuses furthest from main switch - Doesn't seem right to me? :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hi mate.

On the left hand fuse box the fuses are as follows from left to right:

Downstairs sockets
Upstairs sockets
Cooker
Upstairs lights
Downstairs lights
Immersion heater.

That's how it's been since I moved it.

Hi all

With reference to this picture

I sent to my mate and he messaged and said I need to contact the electricity supplier and they should come and remove all that timing stuff as its theirs anyway at no cost. I'm guessing I contact the supplier at the time who put all this in? I go away in 6 days for 4 months so just trying to get the prep done as he'll come round once I've gone. I would have contacted him but it is New Years day and I know they'll be someone on here at some point.

Thank lads (and lasses) and happy new year.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back