Consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A friend of mine has just had his consumer unit changed from it's original as built to a split load. One thing we both are puzzled by is that the RCD has it's power fed from below via the busbar, is this right or should it come in at the top like the main switch.

IMG_2612.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
No it's fine.

I hope that isn't live with the busbar shroud removed :eek:

Looks like domestic work, I'd be suprised if the installation is compliant with the 17th edition by use of a split-load CU...

Sponsored Links
It also looks like it may be a PME installation, with the earth coming out of the right hand side of the main service fuse block (just visible at the bottom). :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It is almost certainly a PME (although could be a TN-S), not sure why this is/could be an issue?!?

A friend of mine has just had his consumer unit changed from it's original as built to a split load.
How long ago?

As others have observed, it almost certainly doesn't comply with the Wiring Regulations.

Who installed it? Did they issue an EIC?

He reckons about 5 month ago and was a friend of a friend etc.

these are the other two pic's if of any use.

IMG_2609.jpg
[/img]

IMG_2613.jpg
[/img]

Where does the black 6181Y go to? (stuck in the N bar)

Very naked busbar.

Reminds me to check on the MK insulated busbar part # & availability.
MKs plastic busbar cover is a load of poo. On 4-way & 8-way they seem to angle-cut the slot so the cover is retained, on larger it is square-cut so the cover just falls out if you so much as sneeze.

Bottom holes may not meet IP2x
- Holes should not permit a >12.5mm sphere to enter

Adaptable box has round-cable gland to flat-twin-&-earth (FTE)
- that looks like FTE coming out of an Elkay round cable gland
- it needs to be a (Pratley) FTE cable gland, TLC list them

Indeed, not compliant with BS7671 (2008).

He has all circuits protected by the RCD and this is not good practise and against the regs as a single fault will kill all circuits.

As this is a very small install its hard to split up the circuits using a split load board. It would have been better to have circuits on separate RCBOs.

The only circuit not RCD protected is the B6 next to the main switch (I assume this is the lights?) This should be changed for an RCBO. Probably a good idea to move the B32 radial (cooker circuit?) onto its own RCBO.

No it's fine.

I hope that isn't live with the busbar shroud removed :eek:

In addition to this to answer the original question. The feed on the board goes in the bottom of the breakers and out of the top. The RCD is fed with Live and Neutral and then the now protected feed comes out of the top of the RCD via the brown wire to power the busbar on the left side of the RCD and the neutral goes to the second N busbar.

Yep it looks like a amateur install to me.
The MCB's appear some what drunk (lean to the right), no shroud on busbar.

Why such a big CU?

A definite case for using RCBO's, not 17th compliant as it should be.

Is their a cert for it? I some what doubt it, any test results ? Probably not.

Looks like Square D MCB's must be cheaper than Square D blanks. Seems strange that this DIYer should take such care cable tying some cables together yet leave such huge holes at the base of the cover. Seems that the seal fairy has been round again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back