CONSUMER UNIT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I notice that the wiring system at my premise is old. I want to change the old fuse box to modern consumer unitand rewire the house. I notice that the supplier fuse unit is opened. Can I pull out the supplier\\\'s fuse myself before i start the work?

Sponsored Links
MZAID said:
I notice that the wiring system at my premise is old. I want to change the old fuse box to modern consumer unitand rewire the house. I notice that the supplier fuse unit is opened. Can I pull out the supplier\\\'s fuse myself before i start the work?

full re-wire is NOT for DIYers. if you do pull the fuse, take the fuse out of the holder and put holder back in just so you cant accidently touch anything inside.

Whoever broke the seal on that fuse also broke the law. Have a close look at the meter. They might have tampered with that as well. Now what I'm thinking is this. If you end up getting 'the electricity board' (or whatever they call themselves in your area) to come and finish the job around the meter, will they find your fingerprints all over it?

You really should not be touching the cut out fuse, but if you do at as I suspect you will, at least make sure everything is turned off first at your consumer unit.

Sponsored Links
if he cant pull out the cut out fuse, how is he supposed to carry out the work??

I guess it is a reference to the dreaded Part P,rather than anything else (the "thou shalt not work on your own electrics - get an electrician in" clause :eek: )

i do wonder what would happen if you reinserted a cut out fuse against a dead short :evil:

i do wonder what would happen if you reinserted a cut out fuse against a dead short

I did that once with a 5 amp fuse. Stupid mistake; light switch fixing bolt tightened onto live wire. It was a very big bang! I shudder to think what a 100 amp jobby would do.

MZAID, if you must tangle with that fuse, make sure every single switch in your new consumer unit is OFF - and triple check everything on the meter side of the main isolator - before you put it back in.

Do not pull the Service Fuse unless you remove the fuse from it's holder and replace this in the cut-out whilst undertaking any work.

Depending on the type of cutout you have, the bottom terminals may not be shielded, and these will remain live at all times. They do not have a fuse backing them that would protect you if you touched the terminals, and any shock here stands a good chance of being fatal

If you need a full rewire, I would suggest that you get a sparky in to do it. Part P requires that this work is notified to your local building control and that they agree it first, this will cost you money, then you will need to get a registered spark in to test the installation when you have completed the work, again this will cost. Then you will need the Local Building Control to come out and inspect, again this will cost (Your up to about £700 so far).

Any deviations/faults will need to be corrected before the installation would pass muster, and this could mean subsequent visits from the sparky, the Building control, or both, and that will be additional cost.

In the long run, you will be better off getting in a registered spark who can self certify the work, it will be quicker, and in the long run, cheaper.

Now I'll drink my tea and wait for the flaming to start.

plugwash said:
i do wonder what would happen if you reinserted a cut out fuse against a dead short :evil:

With a 100A fuse Plug you could be blinded by the flash, have severe burns to your hand, be showered with molten ceramic material and/or metal fragment depending on how bad the short was.

I have seen the aftermath of a 100A cutout blowing up....looked like a small grnade had been detonated, and I am not exagerating.

FWL_Engineer said:
Do not pull the Service Fuse unless you remove the fuse from it's holder and replace this in the cut-out whilst undertaking any work.

Depending on the type of cutout you have, the bottom terminals may not be shielded, and these will remain live at all times. They do not have a fuse backing them that would protect you if you touched the terminals, and any shock here stands a good chance of being fatal

If you need a full rewire, I would suggest that you get a sparky in to do it. Part P requires that this work is notified to your local building control and that they agree it first, this will cost you money, then you will need to get a registered spark in to test the installation when you have completed the work, again this will cost. Then you will need the Local Building Control to come out and inspect, again this will cost (Your up to about £700 so far).

Any deviations/faults will need to be corrected before the installation would pass muster, and this could mean subsequent visits from the sparky, the Building control, or both, and that will be additional cost.

In the long run, you will be better off getting in a registered spark who can self certify the work, it will be quicker, and in the long run, cheaper.

Now I'll drink my tea and wait for the flaming to start.

felix said:
Whoever broke the seal on that fuse also broke the law.
So how does a professional sparky replace a consumer unit? I rang and asked my supplier if they would fit an isolator between the meter and the CU, and (eventually) they said: "Get a local electrician to do it".

When I asked if they would have to come out to unseal the service fuse, they said "Oh no, the electrician will do that".

So is there something pre-part-P that gives an electrician rights that a DIYer doesn't have in this case?

Cheers,

Howard

many of them just pull the bloody fuse and get on with it

you/they aren't techincally supposed to do it (at least not without permission and you are unlikly to get permission in writing) but to be totally honest unless they see evidence of trying to steal leccy they don't seem to care

I agree, that's how i understand it too- they're only interested if you're trying to "by-pass" the meter.

I also totally agree with the point about making sure everything is OFF when you come to re-insert the main fuse.

I liked the "small hand grenade" story- have a look on youtube for video of dead shorts... search for "electric arc"

Welcome to the forum, Rod.

Please don't take it too hard when you get told off for replying to a post that's over 3 years old....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back