consumer unit!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having my house rewired. The comsumer unit is above my kitchen door. On a house rewire does the unit need to come down to 1200mm for wheelchair use? Not sure where it would go at that height.

Sponsored Links
Consumer units are where the builders thought would be a good place - sometime you have to wonder what they were on at the time!

No, it doesn't have to move during a rewire or at any other time. To move it involves two considerations - the incoming supply and the house circuits.

If you're having a full rewire the house circuits can all go wherever you want them to, but moving the incomer will involve paying the network operator a *lot* of money. So if you've no major objections to where it is, best to leave it there.

PJ

Sponsored Links
above the kitchen door is a stupid place.
it should be fairly easily accessible.
more so with MCBs.
having to use steps/chair to get to it is not a good idea.
between 450mm and 1.2m if you can.
try to improve it.

meanwhile in the real world......................

They're always TT when theyre above the kitchen door ;)
Does that mean I have to convert from PME to TT ? :mrgreen:

I put mine over the kitchen door as that the best location in regards to access without having to climb over fitted units. Provided the door is bolted it is safe to work on it. Due to low ceilings it can be accessed to operate RCBOs ( no expense spared ) while standing on the floor.

Sorry Bernard I can`t agree.
Over the door is a no no.
Lets have it where we can get to it safely without too much trouble.
First consideration accessibility second consideration aesthetics.

Would you like your parents to have to get to it above a door?

Lets have it where we can get to it safely without too much trouble.
Which is why it is over the door. It could have gone on what was the outside of the original rubble and mortar wall of the cottage ( the kitchen is an extension built in the 1940's ) or over the work surfaces on the single brick external wall.

Where it is I can reach it without any difficulty. Both my parents have passed away so that isn't a consideration .

Sorry to hear that.
I actually meant or old mrs smith next door etc etc.
ie anyone reasonably expected to need to get to it in the future.
not the best of places to put it over a door is it?

why not either of the other two places you mentioned?

Is Bernard exceptionally tall?

If not, then if he can reach it without needing a platform, so can others.

Lights tend to be on the ceiling - which is more frequent, lamps failing or MCBs/RCBOs tripping? Should he only install pendants hanging down to 1400mm off the floor?

Apart from some task lighting in my office, the lights inside my wardrobe and the wall lights in the bathroom I can't replace any of my lamps without using steps - what am I to do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back