consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Just had a new consumer unit fitted by a 'p' reg electrican and was told that if you do not have the new consumer unit fitted then you will have trouble selling your house.
olly49

Sponsored Links
olly49 said:
Just had a new consumer unit fitted by a 'p' reg electrican and was told that if you do not have the new consumer unit fitted then you will have trouble selling your house.
olly49

false.

olly49 said:
olly49

Did Dick Turpin do the inspect & test?

Sponsored Links
Has anyone who replied ever tried to sell a house with an old fuseboard?The reason being if you haven't then how the **** do you know.You will have a surveyor pick up on the dated electrical installation and the prospective buyer, who is having the survey done, will then haggle with you to reduce your asking price by the cost of upgrading the electrics.So yes it may cause trouble when selling your house.

The Pink Panther said:
So yes it may cause trouble when selling your house.

it might cause you trouble, but its not 100% guaranteed to cause you trouble, which is what was said in first post

Just recently bought my house complete with old fuse board. Not a mention on the survey report!

Pink Panther wrote:
You will have a surveyor pick up on the dated electrical installation

Get real, they'll be too busy sat in their car doing a detailed examination of your roof and chimney stack with a pair of kiddies binoculars they won at the fairground. :LOL:

Besides most wouldn't know the difference between a CU with fuses and one with MCB's (in my experience of surveyors) and are they really qualified to offer opinions on such things?

The Pink Panther said:
Has anyone who replied ever tried to sell a house with an old fuseboard?

Who said fuseboard? The OP said you needed a new one. What if it's a couple of years old?

And besides, I just *bought* a house with an old fuseboard, and lead sheathed cables too!

If you had an old crappy rewirable fuseboard hanging off the wall, all you would need to do to fool the surveyer is get a blank CU cover and box, place it over the old board with glue on circuit breakers and hey presto, the electrics get a clean bill of health...

Not to sure about the stick on chimney stack though, might blow away while surveyor is wiping binoculars

On the subject of surveyors, the person who did mine recently, completely ignored the 30A 'wall mounted' circular junction boxes prevented from the effects of gravity merely by the cables they were connected to (as they disappeared up through a crack in the ceiling) above a cupboard in the kitchen.

He did however (and this is true) comment on the toilet seat falling down after he'd put it in the 'up' position. I have it in writing, in my home buyers report.

I can only conclude that he did my report after a session in the pub and felt compelled to enter the property only to have a slash.... and not a very well accomplished one at that.

He did however (and this is true) comment on the toilet seat falling down after he'd put it in the 'up' position. I have it in writing, in my home buyers report.

Please tell us you are joking :?:

Did he happen to mention that the colour of your carpet wasn't entirely in keeping with the shade of paint on the ceiling?

You have been surveyed by ... SOFT FURNISHINGS MAN :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back