Consumer Unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My 74 year old pop has just informed me he's had a contractor out to perform an 'electrical safety survey', the upshot of which is that he's now signed up for £1000 of work, including a new 12 way consumer unit (he's got 6 fuses at present?); earthing of the gas and water system; and removal of an 'obsolete' trip unit build into the main meter circuit. Comments anyone?

Sponsored Links
Does seem alot of money...but

The obsolete trip will no doubt be an ELCB - no longer recognised in BS7671 - of all the ones I see, they no longer function! They were really cr@p!

To remove this would cost nothing - they will need to install new tails with the new consumer unit anyway.

You currently have 6 circuit.....how many of them are doubled up?? Often, new circuits get bunged in on top!

A 10way split load board from MEM is their cheapest board incorporating an RCD. I guess other makes are priced similarly. This is because this is the most often used size.

The main equipotential bonding to the gas and water is a must - this needs to be done. How far is the gas meter and main water stop cock from the CU?? Is it a difficult run to either of them??

Do you know if they are converting your earthing to PME?? I assume it used to be TT, due to the ELCB.

These firms offering a 'free' survery always overcharge on the installs, this way they get their money back, and the 'free' survery is no longer free!

I would estimate that for an average 3 bed house, new CU, PME upgrade, bonding......£250-£400.....depends where you are, prices vary hugely. Also depends on many other factors....bungalow etc etc.

Your dad has a cooling off period, in law. Ring Cowboys'R'Us and postpone, meantime get a proper spark in to quote. The spark will quote less, and his advice and information may well be better than the others anyway.

Sponsored Links
Thanks all - it's pretty much as I expected, some work should be done, other is more "as we're in". Very grateful for the advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back