Consumer

Sponsored Links
He had a spare mcb of 6a so he wired that into the spare slot in the board and it all worked, which pointed towards the faulty rcbo

well it doesn't because an mcb and rcbo are completely different and that slot is not rcd protected.

I suspect you still have a fault

So it seems that you didn't understand my post explaining why this was probably not the case.

Sponsored Links
You now have an installation which does not meet the wiring regulations, and is less safe than before, and which clearly has a major wiring error. As the chances that anyone I care for will not enter your house, I am not too concerned. Darwinian considerations can deal with the rest. As they say 'I'm out'.

As he's an eletrican. It was all safety tested with a certificate afterwards, so I know it's all good to the highest standard

it isn't to the highest standards though. your lights are not RCD protected. they were put on an RCBO for a reason. THAT was to the 'highest standards' yours is not. Like DS just pointed out, it's not my problem either. Would be interested to see this so called certificate though

It's all done and sorted now, so just happy it all works and is fixed
It works as in supplying electicity to all the lights and sockets. That is good

But you could do that with a large terminal block with all the Lives joined together and all the Neutrals joined together.

So why bother with all those MCBs and RCDs and RCBOs and why have all those earth wires.

Because the main function of the Consumer Unit and the items inside are to work as PROTECTIVE devices. They only need to work when something is going wrong. So have you tested them to prove they work as they should.

IT IS NOT DONE AND FIXED UNTIL IT HAS BEEN FULLY TESTED.

He had a spare mcb of 6a so he wired that into the spare slot in the board and it all worked, which pointed towards the faulty rcbo

Erm, no... That points towards the rcbo doing what it's meant to do and now you've removed the safety device and left a fault on the system!

Did your 'electrician' 'friend' get out any test equipment?

Erm, no... That points towards the rcbo doing what it's meant to do and now you've removed the safety device and left a fault on the system!
That is, indeed, how it sounds.
Did your 'electrician' 'friend' get out any test equipment?
Well, we were told...
.... It was all safety tested with a certificate afterwards, so I know it's all good to the highest standard
... although, given that the problem was 'cured' by replacing an RCBO with an MCB, goodness knows what, if anything, that means!!

Kind Regards, John

If you recall what I actually wrote is that it was tested via a mcb to prove the the rcbo was faulty, when did I say that was the permanent fix? It was fixed by a replacement rcbo.

If you recall what I actually wrote is that it was tested via a mcb to prove the the rcbo was faulty, when did I say that was the permanent fix? It was fixed by a replacement rcbo.
Replacing an RCBO by an MCB does not test the RCBO or the circuit.

For all you know there is still a fault on the lighting circuit. The first RCBO operated correctly and cut the power because it detected the fault, the MCB that was used to "test" the circuit could not operate on the faut as it was not an over current fault. It is not impossible that replacement RCBO is in fact not working and allowing power to reach a circuit that has a fault.

The fault that may be on the lighting circuit is a leak to earth. Somewhere in the house there may be some metal, such as a light fitting or metal switch that is live and could give a severe, possibly fatal electric shock. It could even be an area of wall surface around a damaged cable or fitting.

Ask the person who did this work to tell you the result of the insulation resistance test he or she performed on the lighting circuit.

If there is a fault then it will be you or one of your family and friends who will be harmed and not this seemingly incompetent "electrician"

Bernard, let's just let him waste £30+ on a new RCBO that won't cure the fault, it's clear he knows better.

He's also apparently got a certificate for what's already been done, so it must be legit.

I'm gonna go swap all 10 of my RCBOs for MCBs in the morning, there's obviously no need for them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back