contactless cards

I have to say, I struggle to see how much time it can save.

putting a card into a reader and entering the pin number doesn't seem very time consuming to me. :)

Even cash doesnt take very long!

I can remember the days of writing a cheque, now that is slow
I remember days of sending your bank book away every time it was used!

Sponsored Links
I don’t carry cards with me unless I’m specifically going out shopping for something. For all contactless purchases, I have my cards stored on my iPhone which is always with me. Just a quick double tap on the home button to open the wallet, then fingerprint I.D. to purchase. Done. Most places have a £30 limit but our Sainsbury's has no limits for contactless.

A little known fact is that there is no way for a bank to disable/cancel the contactless function on a lost or stolen card. Yes, once reported lost/stolen you won't be liable for its use, but it will be your responsibility to check your bank statements for evidence of its use until it naturally expires - possibly years.

Sponsored Links
Absolute cobblers. Do you really think the banks would leave a stolen or lost contactless card live for a couple of years that would allow someone to make untold numbers withdrawals of up to £30 a time, especially when they will be liable? We lost at least 3 contactless cards when my wife’s purse was nicked a couple of months ago and they were all cancelled. Not a penny has been taken since.

Not a penny has been taken since.

I'm willing to believe that you have not seen any transactions on your bank statement.

Why do you assume that there have been no transactions, which the bank has been forced to bear?

I'm willing to believe that you have not seen any transactions on your bank statement.

Why do you assume that there have been no transactions, which the bank has been forced to bear?

My contactless occasionally requires that you put the pin in, rather than using the CL feature.
Presumably then, the bank can effectively, if not physically, disable the card (at least by stopping terminals accepting it)?

contactless cards do not necessarily contact the bank at the moment of use.

Ah - so the press and the Consumer Association are lying, are they?

Are they doing that in a widespread fashion, or only in specific areas where you don't agree with them?

if I lose my wallet full of cards a few clicks on an app and they are all disabled.

That assumes we all have smart phones, which I don't. I suppose in the case of cl cards being lost or stolen, when I eventually realise the loss, find the numbers for all the banks and credit card cos., wait on the phone in a queue and eventually get through to report lost cards - thieves could have used my cards many times and spent lots of my money. Presumably the losses before being able to report the lost cards are borne by me?

Before cl cards, if my wallet was lost or stolen, my only loss would be the 10 or 20 quid in cash that's normally in their. The chip and pin cards would have been useless. Now, it's like leaving a blank cheque in my wallet for any thief. They could potentially spend hundreds or thousands before I noticed the cards were missing.

I think contactless cards and car fobs are a wonderful thing, but understand the concern.

Here's me in the office with a device I picked up from Amazon for a few pounds, but worth it for the peace of mind.

I know what you are thinking ... "He's Bonkers". But my answer to you is that we have a few undesirables in the office, so that's why I wear it there. :rolleyes:

foto_no_exif.png

Sponsored Links
Back