contactless cards

Keyless car theft.

Click Here

I do not know if the same technology can be ( or already has been ) applied to contactless bank cards inside a house. They rely on wireless technology and all wireless systems can be hacked and/or compromised.

Sponsored Links
has anybody here been victim of contactless card theft?

Been using mine for years, so nice not having to faff about with PINs - especially handy down the pub.

has anybody here been victim of contactless card theft?
Same transaction registered more than once.
(try arguing that one with the bank!)

Also several small cash withdrawals from Buenos Aires, but that may have been from card scamming so not sure.

Sponsored Links
The people saying contactless is bad I would guess (sorry if you are not) are the same people who use the same pin and password for everything. I have multiple cards with a different pin on each using contactless in stores makes it easy for small transactions without having to know my pin saving time. I have used contactless from the day it came and never been a victim of fraud.

If I lose my wallet full of cash it’s unrecoverable. if I lose my wallet full of cards a few clicks on an app and they are all disabled. Other than money for birthday cards I can’t remember the last time I withdrew cash or even had cash for that matter.

I think the problem is when you are frequently needing to be in busy places. I feel safe because I pretty much never go anywhere crowded - my days of commuting into London are thankfully behind me. And I rarely go to busy bars etc. But for younger people I can see that there must be more risk of fraud.

Thanks for all the replies.
My bank replaced my CL debit cards with 'stupid' ones within three days of my online request, but Barclaycard states that all their cards are CL 'for the benefit of their customers' & the facility cannot be disabled. Looks like after being a BC customer for decades I will be taking my business elsewhere, as I'm neither lazy or dim when it comes to tapping in a pin#

Thanks for all the replies.
My bank replaced my CL debit cards with 'stupid' ones within three days of my online request, but Barclaycard states that all their cards are CL 'for the benefit of their customers' & the facility cannot be disabled. Looks like after being a BC customer for decades I will be taking my business elsewhere, as I'm neither lazy or dim when it comes to tapping in a pin#

I can understand the concern but it's a mountain and molehill situation.

I think you're more likely to have your phone and cards nicked from a table in a public place than have your card cloned, at least statistically speaking.

If you're worried about using a contactless bank card get a contactless credit card, at least then if theft occurs it's the banks money you are losing and not yours.

If you're worried about using a contactless bank card get a contactless credit card, at least then if theft occurs it's the banks money you are losing and not yours.

You might like to read my 10.51am post of todayo_O

I feel for those on here who need to 'save the time' it takes to tap in a four digit code. Even if I was still working I'd rather spend 2 seconds completing that arduous task, rather than risk having my security compromised :whistle:

I was in Israel a couple of years ago, went into shop to buy some grog and the guy took my card swiped it through a gizmo on the till and gave me it back, no PIN and it was for more than £30

i got mugged in israel and my card was stolen...i got the police to give me a crime number and contacted my bank
the fraud team called me and told me that around £40 was spent on groceries and £1100 on jewelry by the thieves
this was when the only way to do card payments was by the signature method...1992 i think
all was carried out by 20 minutes after the card was stolen...
?

Sponsored Links
Back