contactless cards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks > I've been browsing the search facility on this subject, but the posts are quite old. I'm concerned about suitably equipped scumbags being able to 'read' my credit/debit cards, even though it's in my pocket. I know there are wallets etc. available to protect from this scanning but I've recently been told that if you cut the corner (opposite the chip) off the card the contactless technology cannot function, because in so doing you have interrupted the card's embedded antenna.

Has anyone tried this & if so was the 'modification' successful ?

Sponsored Links
Not sure. I called my bank and they sent me a non contact card. Destroyed the contact less

i asked for a stupid card from lloyds and they provided me with a non contactless card

A normal mobile phone with NFC (which is most now!), can read a contactless card.

As said above just request a dumb card from your bank/ provider

Sponsored Links
When Chip and PIN came in, it cut down card fraud considerably.

This was considered to damage the economy by damaging the business of SMEs and independent entrepreneurs, so Contactless was brought in to give the thieves more of a chance to make a living.

When Chip and PIN came in, it cut down card fraud considerably.

This was considered to damage the economy by damaging the business of SMEs and independent entrepreneurs, so Contactless was brought in to give the thieves more of a chance to make a living.

What ????????

well, who do you think, apart from thieves, can gain by making it easier to spend on stolen cards?

So whose benefit do you think Contactless is for?

This is just like the smart meter posts people who do not want to embrace technology and as such stay in the Stone Age. Contactless is excellent cuts my time down in shops, stores. Everything can be hacked and compromised if you worry so much you may as well sit in a bubble at home all day.

You may be able to have it disabled I believe. I can't remember but there's some limitations you can turn on within the Barclays banking app, contactless could be one of them. While it wouldn't stop the card from functioning as contactless it could potentially block server side transactions.

As for reading cards you can download apps and read them with NFC should you be curious.

nocontactcard.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
who do not want to embrace technology and as such stay in the Stone Age.

Not all technology is good, some is designed based on the intended function with little if any consideration of what else might happen when the technology is embraced.

Contactless is excellent cuts my time down in shops

I have to say, I struggle to see how much time it can save.

putting a card into a reader and entering the pin number doesn't seem very time consuming to me. :)

Even cash doesnt take very long!

I can remember the days of writing a cheque, now that is slow

Contactless is to enable banks to apply transaction charges where people would otherwise use cash. You can protect your card by lining your wallet with aluminium foil.

BTW the same risk is also possible for keyless cars

Sponsored Links
Back