Contactor Location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to use a contactor to allow a thermostat to switch underfloor heating on and off.

I see that the majority of contactors are DIN rail mounted style. I have struggling to find out, does this mean they go into the standard consumer unit along side the standard MCBs or do they have to go into their own DIN mounting box, fed by a fused supply form the consumer unit?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
The consumer unit is a type tested distribution unit and as a result of the type testing in theory only devices recommended by the manufacturer should be fitted inside it. In practice however fitting relays and door bell transformers inside them from other manufacturers is common. But until you try there is no way to know if the bus bars will get in the way.

In general I would not expect anyone other than an electrician to go inside a consumer unit and to have a device which could require higher maintenance than the standard MCB fitted inside a box which often can't be isolated elsewhere would seem wrong.

There are enclosures made for most contactors and I would personally not fit one inside a standard consumer unit and the same goes for a door bell transformer in the main as it forces one to bring extra low voltage into the consumer unit which I don't agree with.

In general I would not expect anyone other than an electrician to go inside a consumer unit and to have a device which could require higher maintenance than the standard MCB fitted inside a box which often can't be isolated elsewhere would seem wrong.
I totally agree with that.

Sponsored Links
Also a contractor clunking in and out several times a day is going to vibrate the consumer unit and potentially loosen screw terminals over time.

Also a contractor clunking in and out several times a day is going to vibrate the consumer unit and potentially loosen screw terminals over time.

Tell him to take his boots off

The Hager contactors that fit inside a CU are barley audible just a click really

I'd go with the separate enclosure, maybe even a metal enclosure with DIN rail installed. Or get a normal contactor which can be screwed into the base plate.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I made the mistake if fitting a contactor inside a CU (all MK kit). The CU had RCDs, every now and again the operation of the contactor would cause the RCD to trip for no reason.

Calls to MK offered no solutions that worked. In the end I moved the contactor to its own enclosure.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back