Contactor wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20211120_101538.jpg
View attachment 251345 Hello, maybe someone can help?
Heating boiler was wired into this contactor box in a garage (not huge house).
Boiler cable comes out the bottom, but WHY such a complcated setup domestically??

Sponsored Links
Without actually knowing what other components are in the system and how they are wired together I don't think it's possible to answer that question.

It's 2 relays (not contactors) in a box, not exactly complicated.
Probably used to switch 2 bits of equipment by a single output or a single bit of equipment from 2 sources,, or something that takes more current than the switching output can handle or something else...

There, I think that's covered why :)

It's 2 relays (not contactors) in a box, not exactly complicated.
Probably used to switch 2 bits of equipment by a single output or a single bit of equipment from 2 sources,, or something that takes more current than the switching output can handle or something else...

There, I think that's covered why :)
Does this suggest an electrical heating element somewhere. Something a 5amp control unit can't handle?
I have seen this (either/or) wiring on a house that has an electric shower plus an electric boiler. Too much load, so they switch from one to other but not both at same time.

Sponsored Links
Does this suggest an electrical heating element somewhere. Something a 5amp control unit can't handle?
I have seen this (either/or) wiring on a house that has an electric shower plus an electric boiler. Too much load, so they switch from one to other but not both at same time.
It looks to me like this is 2 devices controlling one boiler. Some arrangements of motorised valves require relays for correct operation.

Seem to recall, If you dont have a timer and use 2 switches one for Heating and one for Hot water, a set up like this is needed so it still fires up the boiler to heat the water even with the Heating off.
I quess locating the other end of the cable may give the answer

As an example I had 3 valves for: gravity hot water and 2 heating circuits.

With only one heating circuit the room stat could start the pump and open the valve, the valve could then start the boiler, as did the hot water valve.

However adding a third valve meant there were 2 room stats and a means of starting the pump from either or both had to be added. My solution was to make the room stats operate their valve and both heating valves operate a single 2 pole relay, one contact starting the pump, the other starting the boiler.

It looks to me like this is 2 devices controlling one boiler. Some arrangements of motorised valves require relays for correct operation.
So all this gubbins is to prevent unwanted feedback and starting of boiler or a pump over run requirement?

Last edited:
View attachment 251452

Something along these lines, but maybe a bit simpler?
In this the SPST relays enable the boiler after one or both valves have opened and started the pump. The timer relays leave the valve(s) open and the pump running to keep circulating the water to cool the boiler after is shut down.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back