Contactors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Quick question, i don't fully understand contactors and was wondering if someone could give me a quick explanation,i get that they are used to help with the startup load of a circuit?? Also ive seen people wire them tons of diff ways ie putting L + N onto the coil and a few lighting circuits Lives going through the contactor.
Im a newly qualified spark and haven't had a great deal of experience with contactors so all help is welcome.

Sponsored Links
You can think of them as a big relay, when the coil is energized the contacts change state. The most common type has normally open contacts which go closed when the coil energizes.
The contacts can be used to switch high current appliances, all your control circuit needs to handle is the coil current which is minimal.

Quick question, i don't fully understand contactors and was wondering if someone could give me a quick explanation,i get that they are used to help with the startup load of a circuit?? Also ive seen people wire them tons of diff ways ie putting L + N onto the coil and a few lighting circuits Lives going through the contactor.
Im a newly qualified spark and haven't had a great deal of experience with contactors so all help is welcome.
The contactor is also called a relay (according to size) form the main building blocks of any electrical system. In the old days there would be huge panels full of these devices and also timers and they would be wired to perform some quite complex tasks.
Today with the PLC (Programmable Logic control) the panels full of contactors and relays are things of the past.
Now the contactor is used in the main to control three phases from one small switch or button. They are still used in motor control to allow star/delta and even resistor or auto-transformer starting but are slowly giving way to soft start and inverter motor control.
With lighting they can allow rows of lights using multi protection devices all to be controlled with one small switch, timer or sensor. It is the use of timers in conjunction with contactors which reduces start load. This will allow a delay between each bank of lights although this is rare with lighting.
With motors either resistors, Auto-transformers or configuration of windings in star then delta allows the motor to start with reduced voltage to each winding. As the motor speed is increased the voltage to each windings is also increased. This may be simple two stage as with star / delta or multi stage as with resistor start often split into 6 stages. Each stage controlled by a timer to a contactor. Even pneumatic timers are expensive and as rule of thumb we considered 4 timers were about same cost as a PLC so where many motors are used it is common now to use PLC control even for star / delta starting. This also allows some extra control like holding in star for inching machines.
Normally motor control will also include some overload protection. There are two basic methods plus loads of specials. The standard overload has a small switch which controls supply to contactor. The overloads today are normally thermal. Years ago we had magnet overloads and to allow the motor to start there was a pot filled with oil with a piston and small hole and forcing piston through oil delayed the operation long enough to allow starting. Another type of thermal overload does the switching within the unit similar to a MCB and allow one to dispense with MCB.
However I can’t believe a “newly qualified spark” has not been taught all this at least in his college course even if not on the job. I will admit the first time I came across a resistor starter it did take some study of diagrams to work it all out. But many times when working on star/delta I have needed to re-wire mainly with items like pumps to take float control.
Also contactors are used for safety. Where irreversible damage to the body may result if something does not switch off it is required that everything is doubled up. So one main contactor will open and also the control will be dropped for all the small contactors. If some of the control contactors are semi-conductor type then often two main contactors are used.
How can any electrician work without that basic training? I bet after all this it’s a wind-up which I have fallen for?

However I can’t believe a “newly qualified spark” has not been taught all this at least in his college course even if not on the job.
How can any electrician work without that basic training? I bet after all this it’s a wind-up which I have fallen for?
Maybe his qualification(s) is/are the EAL DI VRQ and possibly C&G 2382?

Sponsored Links
Maybe his qualification(s) is/are the EAL DI VRQ and possibly C&G 2382?

Oh you have surprised me. However I do remember before doing my degree I considered doing the standard electrical C&G as although I had 2391, 2381 (as it was then) I had started as Auto Electrician so had never done the 2330. So already in college doing access to HE in IT speaking to lecturer he kindly invited me to sit in on a day's lessons.

This was also an eye opener. I could not believe the students did not know silver was a conductor! They seemed to know less than I did when I left school. However I suppose it's all down to schools in first place.

When my son was 14 he came home laughing it seemed at his teachers expense. The class was told there were two types of transistors and asked if they knew what they were. My lad answered "field effect and bi-polar sir" at which he was told no you have NPN and PNP. Next day was parent teacher meeting and his teacher admitted he didn't not what a field effect transistor was. Even though they were invented first.

At least in college (Now brushing up on Maths) they do qualify their statements. They don't say can't be done. They say can't be done with real numbers. I think he is aware I am an electrician and will have worked with imaginary numbers.

Like to see them teach those during a 10 day wonder course!

Good old complex numbers :LOL:
TBH, I think that imaginary numbers, j notation or whatever you want to call it is more to do with electrical engineering. Not the sort of thing a household electrician will ever come across.

In large shops or warehouses contactors are often used with 'on delay' relays which control the contactor(s).

You are then able to have a single timer or switch controlling an entire group of circuits - with the circuits being switched on with a couple seconds between groups of them.

This was done fairly often in IT suites in the old days before 'Wake On Lan' was available, and is still used regularly in amusement arcades and the like.

Not done so much with lighting TBH, unless there is huge quantities. Metal halide can be the worst for startup current.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back