Part P dilemma

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
am a fully qualified spark, 2381,2391,hnc, onc, full apprentiship ect.....

work in industry and dont do much domestic. mate wants a socket installing about 3 foot from CU, loads of spare ways, no sockets close on existing circuits to spur from so best thing to do would be install a short radial....easy.

by doing this though im making a new circuit and should notify.... like hell im notifying for one socket.

so do i issue a minor making out like there was a socket there and ive replaced the 'damaged' cable

or

issue a EIC as i should ignoring the fact ive stuck two fingers up to notifying

or

do it and give my mate no documents

bloody part p! good idea but poor poor implementation. how can it be that i can install 1000 Amp busbars and design factory installations but i cant add a socket from a domestic CU.

Sponsored Links
BTW it is perfectly acceptable and not notifiable (unless in a special location or kitchen) to spur from the origin of a ring.

already thought of that plugwash, ;)

spur is for a tumble drier though, they already have a washing machine, fridge, dishwasher, floodlights and tons of other stuff on the same ring.......oh and its the only ring covering the whole house..... no seperate upstairs ring.

dunt wanna push it with the loading.

Oh how I know where youre coming from, I would go for the replacement cable option stick a mixed wiring colours label on and for get it, you obvoiusly know what you doing,you could always get one of those 3 day course kitchen fitter sparks? :!: to check it for you

Sponsored Links
**** off back to your factory either you play by the rules or you dont

**** off back to your factory either you play by the rules or you dont

That's a tad harsh :(

but I only typed ****

goes with someone starting there post " I`m a fully qualified......" well obviously he isnt is he ?

I might start one

" Im a fully certified domestic installer...... now what about these 3 phase machines "

I- spark has been posting on here for a bit longer than me and although he hasn't posted much recently I believe he is a competant spark - albeit, as his title suggests, of an industrial nature.

I think he was just venting, perhaps unjustified, frustration at not being able to do work without notification as was able to be done before.A lot of experienced domestic electricians feel 'put upon' because of the extra burden involved with the whole idea.

And perhaps the favourite line from us industrial sparks is "I can work on distribution systems/busbars/machines etc upto such and such amps but cannot install an extra socket in me kitchen without some 5 day trained pen-pusher from the LABC inspecting it and passing it off.

industryspark said:
dunt wanna push it with the loading.
This is the reason you have to notify - because you give the impression that you haven't calculated the loading and factored in the relevant diversity.

so do i issue a minor making out like there was a socket there and ive replaced the 'damaged' cable.
That would not be comply with 7671 or the building regs

or

issue a EIC as i should ignoring the fact ive stuck two fingers up to notifying
That would comply with 7671 but not the building regs ;)

or

do it and give my mate no documents
Then you would be classed as a cowboy which I'm sure you're not

IS - I too am frustrated: I have been in the industry for over 20 years now.

I currently self-certify, but ONLY when working for my firm. I cannot when doing work for myself.

I want to rewire my gaff, but my local BC wants to see: my qualifications, detailed plans of the proposed installation & insists that they can only make a maximum of two visits to the property to check they're happy with the work. This despite the fact I told them I work full time & my rewire would have to be done at weekends only.

Also, I have been told the fee is something like £420 (£210 x 2) and I would still have to provide an "NIC" registered electrician to I & T at my own expense.

Winkers! You feel hard done by, matey?!!

Also, I have been told the fee is something like £420 (£210 x 2) and I would still have to provide an "NIC" registered electrician to I & T at my own expense.
The fee they charge is up to them, but the LABC can't legally withhold a certificate and insist that you engage a contractor - that part is the LABC's responsibility.

Also, I have been told the fee is something like £420 (£210 x 2)
That's way above average, AFAIK. Why 2 x £210 - do they really charge per visit? Do they do the same for building work?

and I would still have to provide an "NIC" registered electrician to I & T at my own expense.
Surely you know you can tell them to stick that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back