Interpreting Part P for outbuilding electricals

Quite. This is electrical work we're talking about, not a structure so dangerous as to be a risk to the public, where I could see the sense in the council saying "You, the new owner, must sort this out before it falls on someone's head".
Indeed, and it's actually worse than that since, in terms of what we've been told, I don't think that there is any suggestion that there is anything wrong with the electrics - merely that LABC have not been provided with confirmation that there is nothing wrong.

Even with a structural issue they presumably would/could not insist that it is 'sorted out' unless/until they had established that something actually needed sorting out!

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
Thank you.

My appreciation for your views and comments. I apologise for the delayed reply due to professional engagements and responsibilities.

Although somewhat irrelevant to my immediate question, someone asked why I believed I was 'competent' - a perfectly fair question.

Recently I upgraded my supply circuit to the workshop to a higher-current feed, from the house CU via two external junction boxes to the workshop CU. I checked continuity resistances (etc) with my own equipment, but obviously don't own regular equipment used by professional installers. Reaction times of RCD's (etc) were appropriately checked on the initial installation.

The engineer who did the original installation commented that the standard of installation was well above regular professional installation standards. For example, I dispensed with regular banjo's supplied with SWA glands and fitted Pyrana earthing nuts, and not relying on earthing SWA via the box (which the Pyrana nuts are designed to allow) I returned dedicated cabled earth bonds back to the CU earthing bus. 60A terminal blocks were used on the 40A radial feed, and cables joined by lapping through the block, ensuring two screws per junction, etc.

I also corrected a wiring error at the workshop CU, as I discovered that the neutral bus had been incorrectly used to terminate the incoming mains feed and the RCD neutral link switched around to enable the trip test button to work as a result!

It's clear from the feedback that new circuits added to the workshop CU, where there were none previously, need to be notified for legal compliance. That said, I'm now taking steps to get on a course so that I am officially recognised to self-certify my own wiring installations (I understand around 7-8 months to be fully qualified following a home-study course, starting off at level-2).

Understandably, professional installations must always be cost-effective, though I am particularly critical about my own standards of workmanship so would feel much happier doing my own work myself, and adding a valued qualification offset by the money I could save on further wiring jobs planned for next year.

Thank you in appreciation to all who replied.

FJ

I'm now taking steps to get on a course so that I am officially recognised to self-certify my own wiring installations (I understand around 7-8 months to be fully qualified following a home-study course, starting off at level-2).
The thing is it's not just the qualifications you need.

You'll have to register with one of the Competent Person schemes (around £500 every year).

You'll have to take out Professional Liability Insurance because even though you don't need it for DIYing you have to have it to register.

You'll need calibrated test equipment (hired is no good).

And you will actually have to pass the assessment, which means being able to walk the walk not just talk the talk regarding testing, and show examples of your work, not all of which can be trivial. You'll have to do that every year too.

It'll never be worth it compared to the cost of notifying.

Do the training - that's an excellent idea (avoid commercial courses - your local college will be a lot cheaper), but don't bother with self-certification status.

@ban-all-sheds

Many thanks for the insightful information. I suspect that commercial course advisors don't always spill all the beans :confused:

Calibrated test equipment was expected, and talking the talk for me is really about keeping up with electrical standards and regs, but high annual registration fees and 'Public Liability Insurance' commensurate with all professional installers? I guess the policy-makers have it all sown up.

Sadly, I'm encouraged to simply buy the book and quietly DIY, not bothering with any of it for those notifiable jobs that can either be notified or undone (e.g. external sockets, shower replacement, workshop circuits, etc.).

I could justify the expense in one hit if selling the house (for example) and avoid costly call-outs each and every time I add a new circuit or perform some notifiable task. As mentioned elsewhere, prosecution for non-disclosure of installations at-least compliant or beyond professional standards is unlikely to gain traction in the midst of countless DIY sub-standard and unsafe installs deserving of urgent attention.

All the best,
FJ

Sponsored Links
Sadly, I'm encouraged to simply buy the book and quietly DIY, not bothering with any of it for those notifiable jobs that can either be notified or undone (e.g. external sockets, shower replacement, workshop circuits, etc.).

A shower replacement is not notifiable anyway. But if you're thinking about "undoing" anything before selling at some future date, I'd say it's probably not worth it.

If you do all the jobs you want without notifying and make everything above board as far as any future purchaser is concerned by declaring as much, what's the most likely outcome? You might end up paying for one inspection at a cost of a couple of hundred pounds to help the sale along, which you might well have ended up doing anyway if the potential purchaser wasn't sure about anything with the electrics even without your additions.

So the future owner gets the benefit of the additional external sockets, power in the workshop and so on, and you might spend £200 or so on an inspection (and that's a "might" not a "will") come sale time instead of spending vastly more than that in becoming a member of a registered scheme or on multiple building-fee notifications and associated costs over the years.

Thank you gentlemen for your comments and suggestions.

I'm minded to give study towards a qualification a miss (a qualification offering little benefit in my case) and simply equip myself with the necessary reference information to satisfy myself of the regulatory and mechanical aspects to compliment 'electrical' qualities.

I also keep full records of all parts used in all such installations, and measurements taken using my own alternative instruments (so must obviously be viewed as indication purposes only). As a manager of a test development department for a global organisation, I'm driven by such matters.

I'd have no issues declaring all such work to potential new property owners at any time in the future, but I'll treat it as a 'work in progress' until such a time that I consider it appropriate to get a serving professional around to inspect and certify the entire work at my cost. After-all, I recognise that I may have 'been there' and 'bought the T-shirt so-to-speak, but new owners wouldn't know me from any ol' cowboy DIY'er and I prefer to be forthright and fair in all dealings.

Thank you again.

FJ

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back