Garage Electrics Tidy UP (PART P)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I know I'm probably going to get the backs up of the PART P experts and this may of been discussed before, but since I'm fairly experianced in DIY electrics and feel competent and understand what is required and the design of whats needed to carry out the job from start to finish. I still get confused by the vagueness of PART P.

My garage is attached to my house and the wiring in it looks like a dogs breakfast. So I plan to tidy it up but this will involve replace all lighting cable from the feed in the main house to and including the garage. Also I plan to install a power socket in there. This will be run off a spur from the ring main in the house with 2.5mm T+E. Does 16th Edition require me to have a RCD protected socket?

Burning question is am I allowed to this? Or will I have to feed the coffers of Mr Brown?

Thanks in advance,

Sponsored Links
Cant comment on the specifics of part p, but Yes you need RCD protection in the garage - if you dont already have an RCD at the consumer unit, then fit an RCD socket.

If you do have an RCD at the CU, you dont need an RCD socket. ;)

Thanks crafty,

On the spur topic of the post. Since I will be a running a length of 2.5mm to a single socket, I was wondering if I put a FCU with a 13A fuse in line before the socket, could I then daisy chain another socket off the back of it?

royster said:
Thanks crafty,

On the spur topic of the post. Since I will be a running a length of 2.5mm to a single socket, I was wondering if I put a FCU with a 13A fuse in line before the socket, could I then daisy chain another socket off the back of it?

Yes. This is perfectly possible. In my bedroom, i installed 3 double sockets on a fused spur, to power my hifi and tv equipment. Just like having a multi-adaptor. But the RCD protected sockets only protect THAT socket, not the ones daisychained after them.

Sponsored Links
I've got a split load CU with a built RCD so this will protect the sockets. Needed the extra socket for the garage door lifter I'll be getting later on.

Part P is quite clear for your project and you don't need to notify. You are not installing a new circuit, just replacing one and a spur is not classed as a new circuit. Your garage is attached to your house which is not a special location so as far as I can tell "your away the mixer"

Mr Prescott will be so upset :LOL:

If you just looking for ways round PP, then yes, you can run as many outlets as you like from the load terminals of a spur, as everything on that circuit will be fused down to 13A.

But, and I know this is notifiable, you could run a new circuit from a 20A device, providing the floor area served by it is no more than 50m2

Just getting down to the nitty gritty of notifyable. As I'm planning on getting rid of my electric shower, would I have to notify if where going to disconnect the cable in CU as it will be re-dundant. Plus don't like the idea of the breaker having a piece of tape over it hold it in the OFF position.

Or is it a case of paying a spark £100 to do it?

Plus don't like the idea of the breaker having a piece of tape over it hold it in the OFF position.

As long as you use pink tape its fine. NO No No only joking

You can remove an existing circuit yourself but my advise would be to turn the CU mains switch off before starting, remove the old cable and MCB and fit a blank in it's place. Then turn the mains switch back only when its buttoned up

I have a similar situation too, except my garage is away from the house. The electrics were put in by the previous owner (over 7 years ago). There is an RCB CU in the garage but connected through an MCB in the house CU.
As this is existing circuit does it come under Part P? do I need a a RCB CU in the house? Do I/should the previous owner notify the local authority.

geembee said:
I have a similar situation too, except my garage is away from the house. The electrics were put in by the previous owner (over 7 years ago). There is an RCB CU in the garage but connected through an MCB in the house CU.
As this is existing circuit does it come under Part P? do I need a a RCB CU in the house? Do I/should the previous owner notify the local authority.
no, you dont need to inform your local authority, as the work was completed before 2005. This is when Part P was introduced in its current form.

I think some contributors to this discusion have really LOST THE PLOT.
Ways round Part P.
Part P applies to ALL WORK IN DOMESTIC DWELLINGS.
Notification apllies (Sadly) only to some.
RCD protects only that socket not those fed off it! I hope I have totally misunderstood that comment, if so please forgive me.
If done prior 1st Jan 2005 then Ok what a cop out.
Do it right, do it safe and if you need to pay then so be it
and good for you for asking that shows a lot to me
and Yes You can still do your own thing under Part P it is NOT OUTLAWED just checked (& costs) Good luck and all the best

ebee said:
RCD protects only that socket not those fed off it! I hope I have totally misunderstood that comment, if so please forgive me.
yes you have:
crafty1289 said:
But the RCD protected sockets only protect THAT socket, not the ones daisychained after them.
ie. the rcd is only effective for protecting that socket plate. It does not protect any subsequent sockets.

Correct yes I did misunderstand. an RCD Socket will protect only that socket not any other daisy chained to it .
An RCD circuit with sockets protects all on it.
You were reffering to one socket with integral RCD and therefore you are correct.
I slapped my own hand and told myself off.

royster said:
Hi there,

I know I'm probably going to get the backs up of the PART P experts and this may of been discussed before, but since I'm fairly experianced in DIY electrics and feel competent and understand what is required and the design of whats needed to carry out the job from start to finish. I still get confused by the vagueness of PART P.

My garage is attached to my house and the wiring in it looks like a dogs breakfast. So I plan to tidy it up but this will involve replace all lighting cable from the feed in the main house to and including the garage. Also I plan to install a power socket in there. This will be run off a spur from the ring main in the house with 2.5mm T+E. Does 16th Edition require me to have a RCD protected socket?

Burning question is am I allowed to this? Or will I have to feed the coffers of Mr Brown?

Thanks in advance,

here is a handy link http://www.partp.co.uk/consumer/index.asp

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back