Part P - Semantics

(Ignoring the whole notifiable bit) unless it's a really short run to the shed you might want to upgrade from 4mm to 6mm or even 10mm SWA (for when you get a MIG welder or a hot tub).
Notifiable bit- very semantics. The run from house to shed you could argue is not a new circuit- it is refurbishment/upgrade of an existing circuit. Fitting a new garage CU on the end of it- again you could claim that this is not notifiable (a replacement CU on the other hand is). Some might say you are nit-picking, I would say that some highly-paid people drafted that document, if they intended that the fitting of a CU should always be notifiable then they would have left the word 'replacement' out of the documents. This is the sort of nit-picking that protects high net worth individuals from paying the levels of income tax that us mere mortals have to suffer....but I digress. At the end of the day, if you install competently, test and complete MWC then you've observed the spirit of the legislation. Building Control will charge you £350 for a certificate to achieve the letter but I'll leave that up to you

Sponsored Links
... Some might say you are nit-picking, I would say that some highly-paid people drafted that document, if they intended that the fitting of a CU should always be notifiable then they would have left the word 'replacement' out of the documents.
That certainly would have avoided some confusion and discussion/argument.

However, in this particular case, maybe their think was that, as far as they were concerned, the installation of a new (as opposed to 'replacement') would (if the new CU were to serve any purpose at all) invariably involve the installation of new circuits (those connected to the new CU), so that any job which involved installation of a new CU would automatically be notifiable, without them having to say anything specifically about the new CU itself.

However, had they been sensible, they could so easily have written about 'installing a CU' - which would presumably have encompassed both new and replacement ones!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back