more part p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I fitted myself a new kitchen. The electrician had left double sockets dotted around the place, and all I had to do whilst fitting the base units was to mount some of the sockets inside the units which usually involved disconnecting the socket and shortening the T&E after feeding it through the hole in the side of the unit. Is this kind of thing covered by part P? Does this work need to be inspected?

Sponsored Links
If the electrician was happy that you were going to do this, I'd suggest you should leave well alone. The correct answer is 'maybe', as it depends if you were really moving the sockets to a new location, or just removing and refitting them pretty much in the same place. I suspect if you ask building control they will take your money anyway, and then decide you can't mount sockets inside cupboards and itall has to come down to be inspected.....
Also when did you start and finish this job - if finished before april 1st, it would be exempt if work started before Jan 1st.

if the work to be done is in the kitchen then no you cannot touch it.
do the same as me pay somebody to do it for you.
and wait six months for a bad job to be done.

punchjoshua said:
if the work to be done is in the kitchen then no you cannot touch it.
Can you please explain why you say this, and produce any supporting evidence.

Sponsored Links
All proposed electrical installation work in dwellings will need to be notified to a building control body before work commences, unless:

• the proposed work is minor, and it is not in a kitchen or in an area classified as a special installation or location

This doesn't mean that you can't touch it - it means that unless you can self-certify,then you need to get it inspected.
You can still notify BCO and do the work yourself ( then pay them to send someone out to check/test it.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back