Garage Electrics Tidy UP (PART P)

Jubbly Boy said:

they seem to take an all-embracing view of what the householder can't do on his own (partial quotes)

The list below describes the types of electrical installation work and locations that require advance notification to your local authority's Building Control department.

Type of work
Ring/radial power
Lighting circuit
...extractor fan
Cooker

Dwelling house

Doen't leave much, does it?

I see it has an 0870 (high-cost) number for enquiries, and I haven't yet found the name and address of the publisher of the website. (edited to say, it says it is hosted by the ECA, The Electrical Contractors' Association
It has the look of an organisation seeking to improve trade for approved companies and seeking to dissuade householders from doing anything themselves.

Sponsored Links
0870 is national rate. same as calling a landline outside your town. high cost starts with 09

The cost of calling 0870 call charges

Call type Price per minute (daytime)
BT
0870 7.5p
national 3p
NTL
0870 8p
national 3p
Telewest
0870 7.9p
national 4p

"Which" says,

Watchdog Ofcom wants 0870 numbers to cost the same as national-rate numbers, stopping businesses from taking a cut of up to 3p a minute.

Callers to a company using a 0870 number can be charged up to 8p a minute. By contrast, the same company's national 01 or 02 number may cost callers just 3p a minute, depending on your phone provider. Businesses don't get a cut of national-rate calls.

Ofcom expects most companies to lower their rates but those that don't will have to state the cost of the call before it begins. The consultation ends next month and changes will be in place within a year.

The 0870 numbers have been a big money-spinner for businesses and public bodies. The Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency made £1.3 million from calls to its 0870 numbers last year but told us it will 'comply with any changes to the regulation'. Visit www.saynoto0870.com for more.

Isn't this thread mean't to be about the shocking (excuse the pun) state of the electrics in my garage?

Sponsored Links
Sorry, some of us are barmy and go off at tangents. Especially me.

JohnD said:
Jubbly Boy said:

they seem to take an all-embracing view of what the householder can't do on his own (partial quotes)

The list below describes the types of electrical installation work and locations that require advance notification to your local authority's Building Control department.

Type of work
Ring/radial power
Lighting circuit
...extractor fan
Cooker

Dwelling house

Doen't leave much, does it?

I see it has an 0870 (high-cost) number for enquiries, and I haven't yet found the name and address of the publisher of the website. (edited to say, it says it is hosted by the ECA, The Electrical Contractors' Association
It has the look of an organisation seeking to improve trade for approved companies and seeking to dissuade householders from doing anything themselves.

not at all, thats what i thought at first, but if you dig deeper in the section it does say you ccan alter existing lighting circuits add a spur to a ring etc. as long as it was there before 2005 and is not in the bathroom or kitchen

Jubbly Boy said:
JohnD said:

not at all,
Of course it is - it's the website for one of the 5 main self-certification schemes. The words "interest" and "vested" spring to mind.

Why did you pick that one? What, in your view, makes it "handy"?

it does say you ccan alter existing lighting circuits add a spur to a ring etc. as long as it was there before 2005
Where?

ban-all-sheds said:
Jubbly Boy said:
JohnD said:

not at all,
Of course it is - it's the website for one of the 5 main self-certification schemes. The words "interest" and "vested" spring to mind.

Why did you pick that one? What, in your view, makes it "handy"?

it does say you ccan alter existing lighting circuits add a spur to a ring etc. as long as it was there before 2005
Where?

http://www.partp.co.uk/consumer/consumer_doesit.asp

can't find the bit about before 2005 now

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back