Contemporary Horizontal Slatted Fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an existing fence consisting of 6ft x 6ft feathered panels as shown in the picture which are slotted into the concrete posts. I have a run of about 20 panels running down the length of the garden.
We have a patio area for which the fence runs along and I want give this area a more contemporary design and was thinking of cladding the existing panels/posts with some Siberian Larch battens for a length of around 24ft.

What would be the best way to construct and fix the battens to the exiting fencing/posts.

One thought was to vertically attach wood battens to the concrete posts by drilling and plugging into the posts and then run horizontal lengths of the Siberian larch across the front of the existing feather panels.

Is it a sensible option to drill and insert plugs to secure battens on the concrete posts or is there a better way to achieve what I intend to do?

I want to leave the existing 6ft x 6ft panels in place so not cause issues with our neighbor.

Attachments

• fence.jpg
    fence.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 321
Sponsored Links
Is it a sensible option to drill and insert plugs to secure battens on the concrete posts or is there a better way to achieve what I intend to do?
No - you'll probably hit rebar and/or crack the post.

You're better off screwing battens into the panels themselves - assuming they're your panels and not the neighbours?

I have fitted square trellis to overlap panels (mine) and they stayed up with plant growth.
I wouldn't drill into a concrete post, but you might be advised to use metal brackets to hook into the concrete slots, possibly on each side, to fix a wooden post/upright that the horizontals can fix to.

On a security note, horizontal bars make good ladders

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back