Continual boiler problems

You say the heating water indicator shows 80C+ very quickly.

The boiler fires up as normal then on both CH and direct water supply heats up and boiler quickly moves up its temperature range before tripping out showing flashing 80+ deg.

This is a sign of low heating water flow through the boiler. I assume the rads are not at 80C, or anywhere near that, because the heating fluid is not being distributed to them. Good advise has been offered. The lack of flow velocity has led to any crap dropping out of suspension at the lowest velocity points - the middle base of your rads! The water you drained may be clear because that crap has dropped out of suspension, but it's still there waiting to attack!

Pump failure or blocked pump? Inspect, clean or replace as necessary, though you can be sure that, if the pump is blocked/choked, restoring its flow will increase the water velocity, picking up lots of this radiator sediment and dumping it...probably in the new pump! Get a Magneclean or similar filter fitted on the return pipe to the boiler to reduce this risk.

Blocked return strainer? Inspect and clean. If blocked it's likely to block very quickly again, for the same reasons as above. Fit a Magneclean, etc.

Other blockage inside the boiler? You'll need a Gas Safe Registered fitter to either dismantle and clean it or, better, locally powerflush just the boiler...then fit a Magneclean...
Incidentally, if the hot water production is OK then it's unlikely to be a blockage inside the boiler, so you're back to the return strainer.

I hope this helps
MM

Sponsored Links
If the dirt was suspended in the water it would be flowing freely without obstruction.

If it had settled into sediment and scale it wouldn't come out into your test mug.

So your test has not proved that the system is clean.

I bet if you added a system chemical cleaner the water would go black with loosened sludge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back