Continual failure to connect resulting in 721 error code.

:idea: Does the laptop have an analogue modem ? If it does then try registering for a free Tiscali dial up account.....I know this won't solve the broadband problem but it will go some way to show that dial up networking is working okay on the laptop.

Sponsored Links
Last time I came across a 721 problem was with a talktalk user.

After repeated calls to their customer service team they agreed to send a new modem, which cured the issue.

I'm assuming you can download them for your dad and transfer and install them on you dads computer

Unable to post the said screen shots as I live 130 miles away from my folks

Perhaps burning it onto a CD and posting it maybe a better idea.

Bu**er, it hasn't worked. Been through the whole process by telephone of deleting the existing modem software and then using the reinstal disc and, after all that, still getting the 721 error. Infuriating

Keep the faith Chainsaw :D Suggesting the reinstall was the easiest option available given the distance between you. Assuming next door neighbours modem is the exact same make and model and it still won't connect with that then we have to assume it isn't a modem problem. Even though he should really be using a router, but we'll not cloud the issue with that debate at the moment.

The Winsock fix is very simple if your Dads neighour has a memory stick and a working internet connection. Is this feasible ?

Doazen's other suggestion of a spyware/virus check is also good, although rarely have i seen the removal of the offending piece of malware resurrect the connection without running Winsock fix afterwards.

Ball is in your court mate, depends on how many more favours your Dad can ask of his neighbour ;)

Sponsored Links
Off to Suffolk for the weekend, methinks. That way I can get busy resolving this nuisance of a problem. I’m talking of the broadband problem here, not my dad. :evil:

daozen: I’ll download WinSock, SuperAntiSpyware & MalwareBytes onto a CD for him and give it a go..

wanleg: I will take my modem and give that a try. Yes, I suppose we could ask the neighbour to try out his kit on our line, but I’ll be taking my laptop so this will achieve the same thing.

disinfo: Well Tiscali is now a part of Talk Talk so you could be correct.

BoxCleva: Does the faith allow patricide? :evil: If so I might be worshipping at a new altar. When they revised their contract early last year Tiscali provided a Netgear router. In trying to link to this the laptop just aborted. It was a while ago but I think the laptop’s wireless card is defective. This did not seem much of a sacrifice at the time but perhaps we will get this fixed. As you say, it would be better to have a router. I am a bit reluctant for dad to ask the neighbour again, BC. In anycase he’s more likely to have a walking stick than a memory stick as they live in Zimmer-on-the-wold.
:)

Thanks a lot again, you guys.

I'm assuming you can download them for your dad and transfer and install them on you dads computer

Unable to post the said screen shots as I live 130 miles away from my folks

Perhaps burning it onto a CD and posting it maybe a better idea.

True enough, I admit I just scanned the thread for the advice I was going to give to make sure I wasn't repeating anything.

Or write get your dad to write these down:

http://www.superantispyware.com/downloadfile.html?productid=SUPERANTISPYWAREFREE

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyt...4572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

Then he can go to his neighbours download them and transfer them and install them himself as quicker than posting them.

Other than that keep bugging the ISP, your father aint getting what hes paying for get them to sort it out :)

Just in case ... Speedtouch 330 Latest drivers -
xDSLGA-Wired_Driver_UK_330_301_Win98-XP.exe <2.6 MB
Here :-
http://www.thomson.net/GlobalEnglish/broadband-uk/Drivers-Firmwares/Pages/default.aspx

Could prove the line using something reviewed here :-
http://www.freebielist.com/reviews/category/free-internet-access-providers-isps/
Have used similar freeby web access providers in the past to problem solve connections during my Speedtouch 330 days - BTW the modem was actually faultless and retired so.
--

Sorry chaps, late back today. The neighbour has kindly offered to get dad the downloaded SuperAnti-Spyware, Malwarebytes and the WinSockFix onto a CD so he can give the laptop a workout tomorrow, hopefully.

Daozen: You recommended that we should continue to complain to the ISP but if the problem is some sort of virus etc or there is something defective with the laptop is this really Tiscali’s jurisdiction?

Pip: Thanks for the links. I must admit to not keeping an eye on updates for this sort of thing. I will make sure we get those installed when (if?) we’re up and running.

Thanks again for all the advice. ;)

CM,

Course still complain! Never admit liability, if it is a virus etc then its sorted, if it aint though you'll have a hard time trying to convince them if you say "it might be a virus but..."

Right we'll keep persisting witht the complaints.

Meanwhile we’re heading off for the weekend to hopefully rectify the problem. Dad has run into a difficulty using the CD with the setup progs as discussed. Going through the steps of as explained on the screen both Malwarebytes and SuperAnti-Spyware try to connect to the web in order to obtain their respective updates. As this cannot be achieved both programs show an error condition and therefore cannot complete their installation. So how do we get an updates version of these onto his laptop? Presumably this can only be done with access to broadband?

Yes, he does, but the laptop kept crashing when I tried to open the wireless network connection. Maybe I could try it with the ethernet cable connected?

Yes, he does, but the laptop kept crashing when I tried to open the wireless network connection. Maybe I could try it with the ethernet cable connected?

Definitely. And can you tell me the make and model of router plz

Sponsored Links
Back