Contract cancelled?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I accepted a builder's quotation for refurbishment of a small terrace cottage and knock through into next door (where I live). Included in it were repairs and re-covering of the whole of both roofs. The whole works was for over £60k. A JCT homeowner's contract was signed by both of us and work began next day on the roof (I did not need a cooling-off period).

Work progressed slowly because his roofer sub-contractor kept letting him down and he was quite angry about their non-appearances. He was also clearly annoyed with me because twice I asked him for missing contractual papers. He hadn't produced a breakdown of his quoted price (even though it was required by the tender document), nor a master plan for the works, nor a payment plan. Now, of course, I feel foolish that I trusted him in respect of producing these papers and letting work begin.

On the 11th day of the contract, with only felt membrane covering the habitable part of our home, he handed back his copy of the contract and said that he is too stressed to carry on with it. He would however finish the roof. I found that inside the contract he has completed part of the 'Cancellation Form' so that it reads: TO (my name & address), I want to cancel my contract at (the address of the work). He did not sign or date it. Then he went back to work. We were pretty desperate to have a proper roof over our heads in January and felt that we dare not stop him.

We are now on day 16 and work is nearing completion. The standard of work is average but there are issues I will have to complain about. My queries are this:

Was his 'cancellation' valid?

Is the work he did after his 'cancellation' covered by the contract?

The only quotation I have was for the whole refurbishment. I have no idea what he may charge for just the roof. Do I only have The Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 to rely on that his charge for the roof is 'reasonable'?

Do you think I need the services of a surveyor to decide what proportion of the total works has been done, and thus arrive at a pro rata sum for the roofing?

I'd be grateful for your thoughts on this.

Sponsored Links
What does the contract say in regards to termination by one party?

If as you say "The standard of work is average" then cancelling it may be best, get another roofer in to advise on how the roof is being done too - as the roof is so important and if its wrong it can ruin everything else below (well the rain it lets in can).

The JCT homeowner's contract is full of stuff about the customer cancelling but has very little about the contractor cancelling. I attach photos of parts of it that mention ending the contract. (I tried scanning but my machine can't deal too well with white print on orange!)
IMG_20200202_094639900a.jpg
IMG_20200202_094714330a.jpg
IMG_20200202_094757180.jpg

Sponsored Links
Generally with cancelling a contract you have to put the other party back in the equivalent to the situation they were in if the contract had gone ahead. So by doing the roof he is hoping that's enough that you can go ahead with another contractor and no one loses out too much overall.
However I'm not a contract judge or solicitor so i may be making an error there.

"Cancelling" - that's a standard cooling off clause that tends to apply to all consumer contracts. That don't apply after the 14 day period.

The contract has been implemented and as such no party can just pull out unless in accordance with the clauses in "Bringing the contract to an end"
ie 8(c) if the contractor wants to end the contract the customer needs to have either
not paid him
or prevented him from doing his work.

No other reason, anything else is a breach of contract.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back