contract form

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

At the weekend i am having a builder come round to quote for repointing a wall, sorting out drainage of a bay window and painting a soil pipe.
Providing the quote is acceptable I was thinking of using the minor works contract form. I wanted to know from people here if this is the norm, I don't want to upset a tradesman by imposing a contract but i feel that it safeguards both parties (assuming this form of contract is fair for both).
However i don't seem to be able to find it on the net to download, any relevant link would be appreciated.

thks

Sponsored Links
It's way OTT for such a small job with little to go wrong.

Make your own with just what's to be done, what's to be paid, when it will be paid, also start and finish dates if this is important to you.

Possibly include a rate for dayworks, or a basis for pricing any extra work - but probably not necessary.

Even the most amenable builder is going to wonder why you would want a contract for a job like this .... ie are you the type to try and catch him out.

TBH, a written itemised quote is enough - that is your contract

Sponsored Links
You could go with a verbal agreement for such minor works, but he should provide a written quote which itemises the work that he is going to carry out. While your at it you should get a couple of references from the guy for similar work, and check them out - it will only take a couple of phone calls and could save yourself some grief.

Noseall has the right idea, but the guy may want a deposit or some money up front for material, say 20% or no more than 30% of the cost, whatever you do keep some money in reserve until you are satisfied with the workmanship etc. Woody's advice is good as well.

It could be that you have an honest guy, wanting to earn an honest buck, but regretfully that is a rare creature and the buyer needs to be aware!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back