Is my builder taking short cuts?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So Im nearing the end of a significant build, and the builder and I have been having the classic conversation about funds and variations. I made sure that the builder provided a bill of materials and labour costs ahead of commencing work. He built into it sufficient contingency and fat, but unfortunately due to bad planning on his part, he is now through that. Whilst I don't have to sympathise as I have a contract, I've taken some things out of scope for his cost base by purchasing directly myself. This, I estimate, has cost me and saved him approx £4k. In general, his work has been really good.

Despite this, I'm convinced he's still taking short cuts but I can't be sure. Can anyone clarify from the two examples below if I have genuine reason to be concerned, or if I'm just over reacting.

1) new extension external walls do not have any plasterboard on the inside. Instead he has screeded the block work and applied plaster skim, with a coat of white paint to appear as if the wall is done.

2) he was about to tile the bathrooms before I stopped work. Firstly, the tiles are to be chosen and supplied by me, and secondly, the new external wall and old external wall, which form both of the long walla, have only a coating of screed on the inside. My understanding is bathrooms especially are to have plasterboard with waterproof sealing / tanking before applying tiles. This appears to be a short cut and an attempt to disguise the wall very quickly.

3) the new downstairs bathroom has only had screed applied to the block work. No plasterboard used.

These are the main concerns I have. Before I have a difficult conversation with him this week, I.e withhold further payment, I want to be sure I'm not being an idiot.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Plasterboard on walls is for when the builder/plasterer does not know how to plaster

Proper plastering is a base coat and a skim coat. You should probably be grateful, not critical

So how thick does this need to be? Or is there no regulation covering this? The walls without plasterboard are significantly colder than those with. I'm sure you're right, but the fact that he has used plaster boards elsewhere, but only in the last few weeks, coinciding with his cash flow problems, has he not been doing the same with other walls.

Specifically on the bathrooms, with the increased moisture and heat, are there any concerns about that moisture penetrating through the tiles and hitting an untreated wall?

Again, I'm no expert, but am concerned by some of the things I see. Better to question than sit back and do nothing, only to regret that several months or years down the line when rectifying the problem will be more expensive.

The cost between wet plastering and dabbing & skimming is negligible - as previous post suggests be thankful of a more skilful job. Its also a perfectly legitimate method of finishing.

As for the bathroom - if its a wetroom then tanking should be applied, not for a normal bathroom.

If the tiles are to be supplied by you, and he is ready to do this, then you should have them there - its frustrating for the builder to have to wait for the materials when they are free issue.

Also, if you withhold payment you may become in breach of the contract....not that i'm having a go, but its amazing how customers always leave it til the final couple of payments before all of 'these' conversations.

So far you haven't evidenced an argument for withholding any monies. So unless you can provide further evidence you should pay the man.....

Sponsored Links
I didn't make it obvious in my previous post, but I have additional reason for being concerned he is cutting corners. I caught him closing up in an area where cheap insulation had been used instead of me paying for and specifying a certain type of sound insulation board. he had to rip down an entire section of wall and use the correctly specified material which I paid the extra for. To save embarrassment I agreed with him it was a communications problem. I've stopped work on the waste and drainage which didnt look right. When I checked with my own inspector I was proved right on that too.

Again, I'm not saying I'm right and he's wrong, simply seeking clarification before I have the conversation with him. He's generally a good builder, but that doesn't mean he aint immune to taking the ****. I'm not one for sitting back and allowing someone to take the ****, and not should anyone be. If he's right on this, which it appears he may be, then I'm happy to accept and move on.

There is no need to tank a bathroom wall. Its a modern fallacy. The tiles are presumably ceramic and waterproof

Quite right, and we can only comment on what is before us. So on the plastering thing, i'm afraid he looks to be doing a fine job. As for the rest, without knowing anymore detail its tricky to comment.

My only query would be why did you end up spending 4k on things that he should have been paying for?

Thanks - thats clear and makes sense. I'll cross that off my list.

I've also just checked the building specifications that were supplied to the builder. It talks about achieving 12.5mm plaster thickness on block wall. I'm seeing less than 5 currently. Any reason to worry?

Tell him to work to the specification which he priced to. Its very simple that way

Any deviations to the specification should be agreed by the client first

I was being helpful. Essentially I picked up the costs for the radiators, sanity ware, and some other things. The bay window radiators were the expensive items (£650 for 2).

Like I said, he's done a great job and I could see his profit reducing. I figured I would throw him a bone so he would not be tempted to take the ****, and to show him some recognition for a job well done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back